Advice on this forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Heh...:biggrin:

Oddly enough, the general tone of advice, as I see it from having spent some years on here and C+, is along the lines of 'Buy the best you can afford, by the way I've got X which is much cheaper and does the job very well'. That seems to apply to pretty much everything, bikes, kit, parts etc. I've never seen anyone say, or imply, that you have to have the best or it's not worth bothering.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
simoncc said:
I just thought I'd provoke a touring equipment discussion and touring seemed the best place to do it. I've nothing against expensive bikes. I've bought more than my fair share myself but I thought it was important to point out that a modestly priced bike and equipment can be perfectly adequate for touring, especially for someone who isn't going to do it all that often.Top of the range top branded equipment is not required to enjoy most activities and cycling is no exception.

Sometimes I get the feeling that cycle fans get a bit like hi fi fans, and we all know how boring they can get about woofers, tweeters and special thick speaker wire that really does make a tremendous difference, while the rest of us know that a half decent job from Currys or Comet will be OK these days.

The problem is that your assertions have no foundations so the usefulness if your original posting is negligible. Do try to keep up with the posting and the current sentiments before committing another faux pas.

Some cycle fans are a bit like some hi-fi fans i.e. nerdy, obsessive, friendless and elitist. Apart from Bonj the regulars here do not fit that description :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
As a not very experienced tourer who looks in here quite a bit for tips, advice and ideas, Chuffy does a good job of summing up how I think this place seems to work. Or at least that's the impression I get from coming in here.

User said:
And what's wrong with Campag, eh? You looking askance at my bird bike?

;)

Is askance anuvver make of gears then- and your bird bike is not worth lookin at - wanna make somefing of it?

Tony

bonj said:
Well said. WELL SAID.
'cc and abitrary right on the button as usual. As is yenners.
Glad it's not only me that notices this, and I don't even DO touring!
Cyclists new to touring should post a question in the beginners specifically asking simply for advice on how to use the touring forum. The correct response should be that there is far too much received wisdom, snobbery and steelophilia bandied around.

:blush: :angry: what do you mean, 'even bonj added to the mix'? advice was given, especially by me! :?:
Yes, Bonj, but your advice was bollocks, and your idea of a tour is riding around the block near a bike mechanic. My "wisdom" isn't received, it was learned the hard way by making mistakes. Snobbery? Not at all. Get out on a bike and just do it, something you repeatedly say you don't or can't do.
As for steelophilia, how are your aluminium welding skills? In a remote village?

Tony

Chuffy said:
Heh...:blush:

Oddly enough, the general tone of advice, as I see it from having spent some years on here and C+, is along the lines of 'Buy the best you can afford, by the way I've got X which is much cheaper and does the job very well'. That seems to apply to pretty much everything, bikes, kit, parts etc. I've never seen anyone say, or imply, that you have to have the best or it's not worth bothering.
[thirds this]

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Fourthed.

And I can't recall anybody saying, "and you've simply got to have a top of the range X". If I recommend a Rohloff, for instance, I usually point out that it is bloody expensive. And it is clear that they are not essential.

bonj2

Tony said:
Yes, Bonj, but your advice was bollocks, and your idea of a tour is riding around the block near a bike mechanic. My "wisdom" isn't received, it was learned the hard way by making mistakes. Snobbery? Not at all. Get out on a bike and just do it, something you repeatedly say you don't or can't do.
As for steelophilia, how are your aluminium welding skills? In a remote village?

Well I don't make mistakes, I just do it right the first time. ;)

Chuffy said:
Heh...:rolleyes:

It would be interesting to look at the demographics of the membership - is this a reflection of what we are riding and therefore have experience of?

There are two kinds of advice usually :

I have seen..........

I have used..........

The buy the best you can afford is good advice, and most of the other "faults" are from personal experience. No-one is saying "You must have a Thorn Rohloff" or "Dawes Galaxy" to tour... The posts tend to be I HAVE a Thorn Rohloff" or "Dawes Galaxy" because................

It is often valid advice as we all make mistakes when buying and if we can save others making the same error then fine, but generally the board gives rounded and sound advice.

l

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can't believe we're still debating this trollish thread. Don't give simoncc (or Bonj) any more satisfaction. If you're happy with the given advice - great. If you're not then go elsewhere IMHO. Simple.:wacko:

Top Bottom