Advice on tyres please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

so I’m loving my new hybrid, it’s a Merida Crossway 100. Rims are Alexrims etrto 622x20. Tyres are Merida speed 700x40c. I was thinking that I might go slicker and thinner for the tyres, seeing as I’m a total newbie, but trying to learn quickly, can I please have some recommendations bearing in mind I’m doing mostly road and smooth paths.
Cheers.
Simon

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano raceguard 32mm would be my choice. As I have on my CX for similar uses, you could maybe go for 28mm version but check rims are too wide, can look a bit daft imo if too much clearance to frame.
Under £20
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/schwalbe-durano-performance-road-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod151075

Or for 28mm
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-durano-folding-raceguard-700c

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Why not use the originals a bit more to get some wear out of them ?

Slicker thinner tyres should be fine but might not be great on loose surfaces

As for recommendations each to there own but Schwalbe Marathon's are highly rated but loads of variations to choose form

vickster

Legendary Member
Just avoid marathon plus unless avoiding punctures is your only criteria. Heavy, sluggish and a pita to fit (I found super slippery too)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think I'm tight in saying that all Schwalbe tyres have puncture protection which will definitely be so step up from the Merida OE boots.

vickster

Legendary Member
They have the 28’s on Amazon £22 specs say 28x622. Would they be okay?
Which tyres? I linked 28mm Durano for £19 at Halfords. What does it say on your wheels in terms of rim width?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Slicker and thinner do not necessarily mean faster. I would use the originals over the winter and in the meantime do some research on what other cyclists in your type of cycling group are using.

Top Bottom