Advice on what are the best clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petmcgratt

I am looking for advice as to what are the best pedal/cleat combination for road racing bikes. Some people have told me that mavic make a good pedal whereas some are saying shimano.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I currently have a very basic cleat system (ritchey peleton cleats) with vitus clipless pedals. Having terrible problems at moment getting feet out of them.

I have gaerne shoes that have the three holes on the sole shaped in a triangle.

thanks
peter

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I like the shimano cleats and thus for me the best pedal would be http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_Dura_Ace_PD7810_Pedals/5360027289/

But your shoes can accomodate; shimano, time and look systems. Looks and Shimano are the most popular.

ChrisKH

Guru
There is a good article in one of the cycle mags on clipless pedals in December. I think it depends on what your needs are. For example, I require a bit of float in mine because of knee problems, so that restricts what I can have. If lightness is what you seek, then eggbeaters got a good write up, but users can suffer from hotspots if their shoe is insufficiently rigid or the cleat is set up incorrectly. Your budget will also determine what you can have. Other posters will have their favourites, but you need to be certain about what you want out of the pedal as there are so many.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I'd say you have are probably fine as it's important to get the right fit and comfort for you so it's just a case of figuring out the pedals you prefer. Can't go far wrong with any of the make manufacturers such as Look, Shimano etc just try to find out if they offer the float etc that you may need. Personally I use Specialized shoes/Crank Bros pedals and find them great but have not tried others so can't say how they compare with other options.

I use Shimano Dura Ace - they are fractionally smoother and lighter than the Ultegra's which in turn are quite a bit smoother and lighter than the R-540's. If you have the money DA would be my advice. Lance Armstrong used these so they can't be too bad.

gavintc

Guru
I started with Shimano Ultegra SL pedals. They wore out after about a year, so I swore I would not buy them again. I then moved over to Look Keo and have stuck with them - happy. I note that Shimano have resolved the issue which I was having with the initial pedals - the top plate was made of cheap plastic and wore out. It is now made of aluminium.

So, in sum, I think that you will be pushed to find a poor pedal today. I know from club members that the Speedplay ones are highly regarded but I have not used them.

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

Thanks for the advice guys but I have 2 more questions!!

1. what is the difference between shimano SPD and SPD-SL pedal/cleats

2. my own cleats that I am using (ritchey peleton fixed cleat) appears to be worn a fair bit but i have only clocked about 600 miles in them. I have noticced recently that i struggle at times to get my feet out of the pedals to the point were I have actually fallen. I would have thought that if a cleat was worn out you would find that it would come out of the pedal easily. Is this true?

I like the shimnano but have been looking at the LOOK pedal system aswell.

thanks

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
petmcgratt said:
Thanks for the advice guys but I have 2 more questions!!

1. what is the difference between shimano SPD and SPD-SL pedal/cleats

2. my own cleats that I am using (ritchey peleton fixed cleat) appears to be worn a fair bit but i have only clocked about 600 miles in them. I have noticced recently that i struggle at times to get my feet out of the pedals to the point were I have actually fallen. I would have thought that if a cleat was worn out you would find that it would come out of the pedal easily. Is this true?

I like the shimnano but have been looking at the LOOK pedal system aswell.

thanks
SPD is marketed as an MTB pedal system, the pedals them selfs are fairly open and thus easy to clean, the cleat is also simple and doesn't wear out easily. The shoes generally have a recessed hole for the cleat so it is easy to walk and isn't damaged by walking on it.

SPD-SL is marketed as a Road pedal system, the pedals are larger and the mechanical system that clips you in is hidden. the cleat wears out after walking on it, and so is replaced after a certain amount of time.
SPDSL also has a larger cleat, and potentially you have a better power transfer.

Look and SPD-SL systems are based on the same method but are designed differently.

Top Bottom