Advice and recommendations on going clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
caged rider to be at any tangible disadvantage to one running clipless.
The original set up for "caged" was toe clips and toe straps, with cycling shoes having leather soles and metal shoe plates nailed on them. This set up was very difficult to get right as there was no "float". If you road them with the straps tight, it stopped the blood circulation in your feet. And in the event of crashing, your feet were likely to remain fixed and you could further injure yourself from getting caught up in the bike as you fell to the ground.

Clipless solves all these issues. No blood circulation issues and generally separate when falling. Cleats are bolted, rather than being nailed and have float to make easier when setting up.

Cages with trainer shoes solve some if the original issues, but don't deliver the absolute secure footings that clipless now provide. But not a bad compromise.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good evening

I have a great idea; let's all post negative comments so that we can ensure that nobody contributes and we can be smug about how banal twitter is and wonder why nobody bothers to post here.

Bye

Ian

Suggesting that clipless pedals are poo is pretty negative esp when 90% of serious cyclists where clipless pedals... why because they are pretty efficient and delivering power to the pedals.

Finding comfortable walking shoes as well isn't particularly hard either!

Drago

Legendary Member
Good evening,

I don't agree, I am in my early 60s and have a bunion or two, a comfortable shoe for me is quite wide around the area where the toes join the rest of the foot.

The consequence of this is that when my foot rotates, it rotates within the shoe, not passing the rotation to the cleat.

If ride with 2 or 3 pairs of socks I can unclip on demand, but the discomfort around the big toe area is not worth the cost.

Bye

Ian

Yes, indeed, there will be cases were medical or physiological issues impact the riders ability to go clipless.

Nevertheless, in my my experience as an ex professional trainer, fundamental lack of riding skills is far, far, far and away the biggest obstacle to mastering clipless very quickly.

People tend to struggle because they simply aren't good enough riders to begin with.

Suggesting that clipless pedals are poo is pretty negative esp when 90% of serious cyclists where clipless pedals... why because they are pretty efficient and delivering power to the pedals.

Finding comfortable walking shoes as well isn't particularly hard either!

How does one qualify to be a serious cyclist?

Is it OK to smile once in a while?

Asking for a friend.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Good evening

I have a great idea; let's all post negative comments so that we can ensure that nobody contributes and we can be smug about how banal twitter is and wonder why nobody bothers to post here.

Bye

Ian

No smugness or negativity intended Ian, just gently steering the topic back to the OP's question and giving what i hope was a useful recommendation

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The shoes mentioned in an earlier post are still available it seems.
Ridge
Remember you could always carry the appropriate allen key and remove the cleats if necessary (if you keep the bolts maintained - I always use copper grease when fitting them - same applies to 3 bolt cleats of course.

Top Bottom