Advice on what to wear - practicalities of a newbie commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hotchilidamo

Right, so my bike is on order (finally!).

Next up is working out what the hell I'm doing. I've had differing advice from friends ranging from cycle in normal work clothes and don't worry about proper cycling gear to get all the cycling gear, take work clothes in your backpack

So, my commute is approx 8 miles and although I'm not new to cycling, I'm new to commuting. I have no shower at work, and am already going to be carrying lunch and laptop in a backpack so not overly keen on panniers or adding more weight. My typical work clothes are quite relaxed so jeans, shirt etc.

If you cycle in shorts/tights, do you then take your work clothes in a bag? or do you have some other arrangement. If I don't use shorts/tights surely I'm going to get a sore nether region.

My main concern is that if it all becomes too much hassle I'll not enjoy the whole thing and my enthusiasm will diminish

As you can tell I'm a bit confused. Any advice would be great

wilkotom

... I have no shower at work, and am already going to be carrying lunch and laptop in a backpack so not overly keen on panniers or adding more weight. My typical work clothes are quite relaxed so jeans, shirt etc.

If you cycle in shorts/tights, do you then take your work clothes in a bag?

I take my clothes, laptop, etc in a convertible pannier /rucksack combo (Vaude Cycle 28). For 12 miles each way I found that pannier vs rucksack made a big difference to comfort.

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I commute 4.5 miles and I will use shorts/tights. I could probably get away with riding in jeans, but it would get uncomfortable and if it rained, then it's very unpleasant. 8 miles in jeans might not be pretty.

I leave work uniform at work and change when I get there. Don't carry more than you absolutely have to. If you can leave some clothes at work, do so. If you can't, then take lighter trousers rather than jeans (easier to carry). You could wear the shirt to ride in if the weather is nice and keep the pace down so you don't arrive as a sweaty mess. Then it's change trousers, maybe a quick squirt of deodorant and you're good to go.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would agree that the pannier is going to be more important to your comfort than what you are actually wearing. I do the odd trip with a rucksack but its very rare, I prefer not to get a hot and sweaty back and let the bike do the carrying. I'm someone who both uses normal clothes and cycle clothes, with the tendency towards the cycle gear in the winter, and wearing normal clothes in the summer, with a commute of 9 miles or so (and no shower usually at my destination).

(I've done my commute in jeans, but I need stretchy ones so they aren't uncomfortable at the knee etc).

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I leave my shoes and a pair of trousers in work, and carry in a fresh shirt and underwear daily- this is on a 12 mile each way commute.
I don't need to carry a laptop but if I did would definitely sort our rack and panniers- I wouldn't want that on my back.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Is your commute 8 miles in total or 8 miles each way? My commute is 12 miles each way, but if it was only 4 miles I might consider wearing 'normal' clothes, but the longer you ride for, the more you appreciate wearing the right gear. Lycra with padding is the most comfortable (if you feel that this look isn't for you, just wear normal shorts on top). Assuming you'll ride all year round, fleece lined is the way to go for anything below 8°. I wouldn't recommend a rucksack as you'll arrive with a very sweaty back. Decent rack, decent panniers-(Ortleibs are perfect), decent breathable/waterproof jacket, tools, and decent lights (many threads on these) are the essentials. Further equipment would include spd pedals and shoes, helmet, neck tube, gloves....the list goes on and on, and can run to several £100s. That said, once you have bought all the kit, further expenses are pretty low, and you'll soon find you're saving a fortune over car/public transport costs, and of course you'll be über fit and all the girls will want you. I take my work clothes/lunch in the panniers, and hang my cycle gear up in the boiler cupboard at work.

To keep your enthusiasm up, just set simple goals. I started doing 2 days a week, but within a month I was doing 5 days a week. Also, think about riding in really steadily, and within a couple of weeks you should be arriving at work sweat free. Then ride home like a maniac for a good work out.

mangid

Guru
I used to use panniers when using my hybrid, but I found things actually wore faster in them than they do in a rucksack, they get jiggled around an awful lot. I now commute on a fixed, 40miles in, and use a rucksack, get on fine with it. I use an Ortlieb Flight 27, http://goo.gl/g6YJFB, which has an external frame and give plenty of ventilation. It's also waterproof, and comes with a 5 year guarantee (which has been honoured when some seams came unbonded after 4 years). I did try a couple of cheap ones before that and they were definitely uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Hotchilidamo

Hotchilidamo

Commute is 8 miles there and 8 miles back. I love the bit in red, though I doubt it will be true or that the mrs and newborn will be too pleased

I guess to me the whole panniers thing just doesn't do it for me so maybe I'll give it a go with the backpack for a bit and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the tips

400bhp

Guru
Commute is 8 miles there and 8 miles back. I love the bit in red, though I doubt it will be true or that the mrs and newborn will be too pleased

I guess to me the whole panniers thing just doesn't do it for me so maybe I'll give it a go with the backpack for a bit and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the tips

8 miles each way, cycling clothing needed.

You will get sick of commuting with a laptop in a rucksack each day. At least go with a cycling specific rucksack where the back of the rucksack sits proud from your back.

This time of the year, if you want to do it on the cheap and don't want to spend money on something you might not continue with, buy a pair of padded cycling shorts (can be picked up for a tenner) and a pair of running bottoms to go over the top.

Layering is the most important rule of thumb for bike riding. Wear a base layer over the top and at least another layer on top.

You want some warm gloves and also look at overshoes to keep you feet drier and warmer..

JamesTaylor02

I find myself extremely comfortable in lycra shorts and a technical lightweight t-shirt – with a waterproof jacket where necessary.

In terms of luggage, I use a rucksack. If you choose a rucksack also, I would suggest the Freeflow 20. The back system on those stops the wet back that you can get from cheaper rucksacks. Being only 20 litres, it would mean that it will limit exactly what you can take with you on the bike but that may/may not be a problem. There are others that are a little bit bigger which can be found on the Berghaus website (obviously have a shop around because the equipment can be a little pricey – but will last you ages).

boydj

Legendary Member
For many years I used a rack pack or a saddlebag to carry a clean shirt and underwear. Rucksacks are hot and uncomfortable, with the weight better carried on the bike, and panniers are not as convenient as a rack pack. Trousers and shoes were kept at work, with trousers changed weekly. Cycle clothes are more convenient to cycle in, with a wipe-down with baby wipes and change of clothes on arrival to cater for sweat or wet conditions.

Like everybody else, you'll learn from experience what works best for you.

Kookas

Über Member
8 miles each way, cycling clothing needed.

You will get sick of commuting with a laptop in a rucksack each day. At least go with a cycling specific rucksack where the back of the rucksack sits proud from your back.

This time of the year, if you want to do it on the cheap and don't want to spend money on something you might not continue with, buy a pair of padded cycling shorts (can be picked up for a tenner) and a pair of running bottoms to go over the top.

Layering is the most important rule of thumb for bike riding. Wear a base layer over the top and at least another layer on top.

You want some warm gloves and also look at overshoes to keep you feet drier and warmer..

Personally, I go 7.23 miles, and although I wear a cycling top and jacket, I skip on cycling trousers because I seem to get on fine with jeans. Having to swap trousers would be a bit too much of a fuss for me.

That said, my situation isn't ideal.

Sara_H

Guru
Panniers will be much more comfortable.

I leave a couple of pairs of shoes at work, and take my office clothes daily in my panniers.

To ride in I usually wear leggings (just ordinary ones, not cycling ones), a long top and some boots. I have a showerproof coat. If its heavy rain, I do wear a cycle specific waterproof jacket. In winter I wear a merino hat and just some normal woolly gloves. I had a pair of sealskinz, but my fingers were like ice cubes.
I like to wear ordinaryish clothes so I don't look like a freak if I get invited to the pub after work!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Personally, I go 7.23 miles, and although I wear a cycling top and jacket, I skip on cycling trousers because I seem to get on fine with jeans. Having to swap trousers would be a bit too much of a fuss for me.

That said, my situation isn't ideal.

7.23 miles. That sure is precise.

Tim Hall

Do you really need to take the lap top to and fro each day? I thought I used to, but re-jigged things so it stays at work. If i need it (meetings away, site visits etc) i'll be driving in anyway. Not having the laptop means I can travel a whole lot lighter. Trousers, polo shirt, underwear, sandwiches in a bar bag. Cycle in, umm, cycling clothes. Keep wash kit in desk drawer. Arrive, coffee, general first thing faffing, then strip wash in the loos and emerge dressed in smart casuals.

Top Bottom