Advice on what to wear - practicalities of a newbie commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you are in jeans you do need waterproofs, wet jeans are far worse than damp jeans. Also it depends on the time of year, in summer you just end up wet, whereas in winter I get too cold if I get wet.

Tim Hall

I also would like to commute by bicycle. The only issue for me is adequate water proofing. I intend to be dry when I arrive at work.
Recent weather not withstanding, the number of dry commutes seriously out numbers the number of rainy ones. How long will your commute be? @ianrauk keeps a tally of sunny vs rainy days.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2012 - 354 commutes - 46 of those rain
2013 - 373 commutes - 39 of those rain
2014 - 61 commutes - 10 of those rain

So in the scheme of things, the number of rainy commutes is pretty low.

Blurb

Über Member
I also would like to commute by bicycle. The only issue for me is adequate water proofing. I intend to be dry when I arrive at work.
I started off thinking like this, but eventually gave up on overtrousers and in rain now ride with overshoes/legwarmers+padded shorts(add knee warmers if near freezing)/lightweight waterproof jacket. Once at work my legs dry out quicker than the sweat caused by the jacket. 11 miles each way BTW.

OP
OP
Hotchilidamo

Hotchilidamo

Are overshoes only useful in rain? Or is this something you need in general

Also, if I got some cycling shorts and then wanted warmer legs are running tights the best bet as mentioned earlier in this thread, or should I look at something else?

Thanks loads for all the tips :smile:

adscrim

Veteran
Get some sticky patches or a pucture repair kit - takes up almost no room but if you get a second puncture or botch the replacement on the first one, it may become priceless.

I'm 6 miles each way and wear cycle specific chino type trousers with a shirt in a courier bag. I find the M&S non iron shirts are fine to be folded and then worn straight from the bag.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
We are all coming at this from the wrong angle...

Surely what you wear is determined by what you ride.

Are you on a fixie hotchillidamo? If so skinny jeans and a tee shirt two sizes too small, with a chain around your waist ray bans and no lid ( interferes with all the hair product)

On a hybrid,then fluorescent yellow jacket, lid with 3 Cameras mounted on top, flappy overtrousers and fingerless gloves.... And a hugerucksack

On an mtb then wear nothing of consequence, except a look of grim determination

A roadie,then...well...naked would be preferable, but if you must add weight then perhaps a trip to Rapha would kit you out with a top, bibs and some nice leather shoes for less than £3k

Pashley ...well...then a dress.

Recumbant...a straight jacket

In all seriousness,you can wear "normal" clothes for any distance, its the change in effort that requires a change in gear. Take it easy and you can ride that in a suit and turn up fresh as a daisy.

Occasional wet days will be a bind though so a drawer at work with spare jeans and a tee would help. If you plan to push it, and treat it more like a sport, then sports wear is essential.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
As others say panniers are much better than a back pack, particularly if you must carry a laptop.

Eight miles each way is pretty much in dedicated clothing territory. Apart from comfort cycling will wear/polish seat of your trousers although you might just get away with outdoor stuff like Rohan Bags. If you don't fancy lycra touring cycling gear fits more loosely and doesn't show which way you dress.

A light showerproof jacket will deal with anything short of a downpour. If rain is really bad you're going to be drenched anyway. Do you have an alternative such as driving or public transport or the odd few days in a year where cycling might be beyond the pail?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Echoing what some have said, and disagreeing with others. You really don't need clean shorts every day for an 8 mile commute - on that basis, you,d need 3 changes of clothes for a 50 mile day ride which is just silly. obviously you don't want em getting manky, so washing em reasonably often, yes and more importantly drying if they get wet is the main thing. You'll accumulate several pairs in due course - eg long, short, bibs etc in any case once you know what suits you.

I wear 3/4 lenght bib tights most of the year, with shorts proper only in the short summer, and proper warm winter drawers only when it's really cold. I'd therefore consider 3/4 lenght tights as my first pair - bibs or not according to taste - though concede I may be in minority here as most favour shorts. Dhb (wiggle own brand) are pretty good bang for your buck, but sizing is bizarre and variable - bike gear sizing is bad enough anyway, but dhb especially bad. If you find something you like, get another fairly soon, as models change and are deleted. Jacket wise, i'd not get a waterproof at all, but get a windproof fleecy type jacket for winter - as these are somewhat water resisting, but more importantly, your body heat seems to stop you getting all that wet underneath. There is, or was a good Altura hi viz fleecy one whch I can recommend at mide price, and an assos one - i think it was called 851 at a singificantly higher price, though not excessive. If you get a "deal" as i did.

And yes - agree with panniers comment above - rucksack on bike is just uncomfortable & wobbly

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Echoing what some have said, and disagreeing with others. You really don't need clean shorts every day for an 8 mile commute - on that basis, you,d need 3 changes of clothes for a 50 mile day ride which is just silly.

It's not all about actual time in the saddle. It's the time in between too.

Bacteria grows with or without skin to the touch.

I can tell some of the guys that don't wash their kit often in the works showers. The stuff is manky and stinks.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For 8 miles each way I'd be inclined to try it a few times in ordinary work clothes (especially because you don't have to be suited and booted) and see how you go. I do 5 each way in a suit without any problems at all, and I tend to wear shirts for more than one day - but then I'm lucky - I have a good heart and lungs, I don't sweat much, and I don't need to treat the commute as a race or a training session.

Personally I wouldn't touch a backpack for cycling - I want complete freedom to look around without weight shifting.

Big Nick

I wear a Altura Nightvision jacket for cycle commuting, very bright and with a red flashing light attached to the back
I did wear walking trousers initially but the bottoms kept snagging on the chainring so I got some Polaris cycling trousers, very lightweight, quite normal looking, zipper vents, water repellent and velcro straps around the ankles and only £35ish
On the cycle helmet thing, get a new one. I've just 'tested' mine and it saved me from a nasty head injury meaning I only got a mild concussion and neck ache. As Vickster said the Specialized Align is only £30 and has passed all the relevant safety approval.
Don't take a chance with protecting your head

Top Bottom