Advice on Wheelbuilding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Does anyone know of some good websites where I can get a beginners guide to wheel building?

I've got a hub and rim that I fancy lacing together, I'll probably end up having to take it to my lbs to tension up properly, so I'm looking for something that will show my what spoke length I need, and how to lace them up.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
As always, the late great Sheldon is your man: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Everything you need to know is here or linked from here.

barq

A bit more hassle/costly to get hold of but worth mentioning are the original wheel 'bible', Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle Wheel, although out of print your local library might order it for you. Gerd Schraner's book (endorsed by DT Swiss) is good, as is Roger Muston's book (which you can buy online in electronic form from Wheelpro.co.uk).

rustychisel

I've built a good number of wheels now by using Sheldon and a pinch or two of common sense (ie, having an existing wheel next to me so I could copy the spoking pattern). They're all good un's. Take your time and work methodically.

robbarker

Another vote for Roger Musson's downloadable book - it's the best practical guide for beginers. (I have them all!)

Top Bottom