Advice on which group please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Libby

I have been cycling for about 3 months now and have recently joined a cycling club. The problem I have is with the club runs. They have a few groups that go out to cater for different riders but I am finding that I am between speeds. The slower group I was with last week averaged around 14.5mph for a 65 mile run but the quicker group averaged around 18mph for a 75 mile run (I know this because my husband went with the quicker group). My problem is that my pace is usually around 16mph for that sort of distance.

So...Do I stick with the slower group and just get the miles in or am I better off going with the faster group and hanging on for as long as I can before giving up and making my own way home?

I do want to improve my speed and fitness as I am hoping to be able to do some time trials next year.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If the club has a 'no-one is left behind' policy, then I'd be tempted to mix it up but it really depends on their policy. Talk to the ride leaders, see what they say.

VamP

Banned
Go with the faster group and see how you get on. Not sure if you have much experience drafting, but that will raise your average speed a fair bit. Be prepared to be dropped and make your own way home, make sure you communicate that this might happen to the ride leader.

If they're too fast for you go back to the slow group for a while and then try the fast group again another time.

OP
OP
L

Libby

The faster group does not have a no one left behind policy. I'm not bad at drafting and did try to go with the faaster group one week but I only managed to stick with them for an hour (although I think they were having a slightly quicker ride that week as I was told during the ride that they would be averaging 17-21mph and it was def more towards the top end!)

VamP

Banned
Sounds like you were not completely out of your depth then. Keep doing it, pretty soon you'll stick witht them the whole ride, and be taking your turn at the front for longer and longer.

Top Bottom