Advice on which locks to use from experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
I have used the Abus Granite 54 (the large one) d lock for 10yrs now with no complaints and judging by the lack of attempts on it, it has done the job of discouraging attempts in the first place.
It's a heavy bugger though and even this will fail to a battery operated angle grinder.
Choosing carefully where you leave your bike is nearly as important as your choice of lock.
A good guide for most people choosing a lock is pay at least 10% of what your paid for your bike.

Alex321

Veteran
A good guide for most people choosing a lock is pay at least 10% of what your paid for your bike.
With cheap bikes, maybe.

Even some lower mid-range bikes, possibly. But if you are paying over £1500 for the bike, you aren't going to find many locks costing 10% of that. The current version of the lock you mention is about £75, and is supposed to be one of the best available.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any half decent lock or two will do so long as it's locked properly. A colleague has left their brand new eMTB in the cycle parking locked by it's front wheel. I could have walked off with it, all £3k, minus the front wheel. I've alerted the cycle group and put a little note on the lock for the new 'user'

There are signs all over the cycle shelter showing people how to lock the bike (I put them there over 8 years ago).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] if you are paying over £1500 for the bike, you aren't going to find many locks costing 10% of that. The current version of the lock you mention is about £75, and is supposed to be one of the best available.
You need two locks to proper lock it: one through front wheel, frame and parking stand; and the other through back wheel, frame and stand.

Top Bottom