Advice on which locks to use from experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
@froze Are you on sales commission ?

LOL, just because someone supports a product doesn't mean that person works or gets a commission from the company. If that were true everyone here is on commission because everyone here at one time or another promoted a particular product(s) they've used or heard about.

So knock off the subtle attempts at insulting others, it's very unbecoming.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
LOL, just because someone supports a product doesn't mean that person works or gets a commission from the company. If that were true everyone here is on commission because everyone here at one time or another promoted a particular product(s) they've used or heard about.

So knock off the subtle attempts at insulting others, it's very unbecoming.

Give over, its a joke. FFS

november4

Yep, smiled here

I don't commute so don't have the same risks, when I'm urban I'm on the bike and I wouldn't have to leave it

Maybe we should have truncheons and whack anyone with a grinder then cut his fingers off with it? It's an idea anyway...😂

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
geez, now I got to learn British humor? I have a hard enough time with American humor!

Yup, especially on a British site with British cyclists who take the wee wee out of each other. World's best humour in the UK.

Fall off your bike, we'll all help once we've got up from laughing, then when you are sporting numerous bandages, the mickey taking starts again.

Gwylan

Veteran
There's the cut and thrust of jovial chummy banter - that works.

But some people don't get it and get all prissy, especially if they are on the receiving end.

A broad rule is that you are only polite to people who piss you off. Why twerps get called sir.

Gwylan

Veteran
Regarding locks, I use an Onguard 8012.
Has a neat holder to put on the bike to carry it around.

Avoid buying the cable that comes with it sometimes. Total rubbish, will not resist a pair of bail scissors.

Get length of ugly chain from Screwfix if you need more security.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
geez, now I got to learn British humor? I have a hard enough time with American humor!

I’ve spent / do spend a fair amount of time Stateside. Literally from San Fran to New York and many places inbetween.

And while the language we use is the same on paper: the spellings, meanings and contexts are often poles apart. Can make conversations ‘awkward’ and sometimes feels like I’m talking Chinese in all honesty.

And the humour differences typify that ‘divide’ in some ways. And your (Even jokingly said) self aimed sarcasm is quite unusual imo…..

Stay safe 👋

froze

Über Member
All I use to lock up my bike at work is an Abus 6ks security chain that cost me around $28; plus a Masterlock combination lock model M175XDLF that cost me around $15. I saw both of these tested against bolt cutters and the guy had a really tough time with them till he brought a big long bolt cutter that most thieves wouldn't dare carry. But when I go touring I take that same lock but use a thick cable instead because it's lighter and I don't leave the bike sitting someplace by itself, I'm always near it when I'm sleeping it's locked to a park bench next to my tent or to a tree.

Top Bottom