Advice on wild camping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

look out for
fields (without crops or cattle)
laybys
picnic areas
woods
beside off road cycle paths
beside rivers/lakes
in public gardens/parks
beaches
etc

knock on a farmer's door and ask.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I would aim for the forests and use a tarpaulin rather than a tent and you can quickly throw it over your bike and you quicly have shelter. Iv'e also slept in railway waiting rooms.

HelenD123

Guru
look out for
fields (without crops or cattle)
laybys
picnic areas
woods
beside off road cycle paths
beside rivers/lakes
in public gardens/parks
beaches
etc

knock on a farmer's door and ask.

That's pretty much my list.

+1 to the advice to make sure you have enough water and food for the evening and start of the following day.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I would aim for the forests and use a tarpaulin rather than a tent and you can quickly throw it over your bike and you quicly have shelter. Iv'e also slept in railway waiting rooms.

In bits of France it's difficult enough to find a tree never mind a forest!

delport

It's not too difficult to do wild camping, once you have found a few spots you'll be spotting places all day long while cycling.
In all i've done around 40 nights wild camping, and as yet haven't used a proper camp site.
I wild camp in France,belgium,england,wales and scotland.

Here are some ideas, find an official cyclepath in france and you'll find a huge amount of camping places free of charge,The cyle paths often go straight through wooded areas and there is no one around after dark.
Camp somewhere where there is little sign of life, don't camp in the centre of town or in really busy areas, you can comfortably camp on the wooded areas right next to main roads out of town.

Use trees as camouflage,my ideal camping spot is in the middle of 2 trees where i can't be seen at any angle, good for rain cover too.

I am going straight to Gibraltar in a few weeks and will be wild camping most, if not all the way.

Top Bottom