Advice please as I've just entered the most important Sporting Event of 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[quote name='bonj;743772- it's because one is tasted by the backsides of your tongue and the other by the front' date='.[/QUOTE']

xx(xx(

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you're making butter icing, why not make them Butterfly cakes? Slice the domed top off each cake, horizontally, and cut the little disc/dome you cut off in half to form two semi circles. Put a blob of butter icing on the cake, then push the straight edges of the semicircular bits into the icing, so that it looks like a butterfly has landed on it....

Or make them marbled. Divide your mix into 3, colour one lot with pink, one with chocolate, and put a blob of each in each case, give it one swirl with a skewer and allow to mingle as they bake.

Or go down the nostalgia/presentation route. Ice the cakes with pink glace icing and then decorate each one with either jellytots, smarties or silver balls.

My sister made cakes for Oli's christening on Sunday - there were lemon ones with a runny skicky lemon icing, and chocolate ones with a really thick butter type icing, but richer than buttercream, more like a stiff mousse, it actually sat on the cake like a blob, rather than spreading. Lovely!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
User76 said:
Following the flapjack advice, I suggest you get Cathryns mum to tell you some tips. Those flapjacks are lush:tongue:

Talking of flapjacks, i did an open TT the other week and had one of the most nicest flap jacks ive ever EVER had. It had dates in the middle i think, and was lovely:thumbsup:

Wolf04

User1314 said:
Some nice ideas here....

...thanks all.

Especially for the scientific analysis regarding the sensory receptor distribution of tongues. Have these assertions been Peer Reviewed in an accepted Scientific Journal?

Twas from a paper in Scientific America, sorry couldn't copy link (windows mobile)
+1 on lemon icing or chocolate genache (sp?)

Arch: I always thought butterfly cakes were fairy cakes, the wings being "fairy wings" all good though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wolf04 said:
Twas from a paper in Scientific America, sorry couldn't copy link (windows mobile)
+1 on lemon icing or chocolate genache (sp?)

Arch: I always thought butterfly cakes were fairy cakes, the wings being "fairy wings" all good though.

I think my Mum used to call them Angels on Horseback. Whereas I think devils on horseback are something done with kidney and bacon. Or is that devilled kidneys...

<goes away to check>

Top Bottom