Advice please - Kona vs Scott and others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
WelshYiddo said:
Blimey, I go away for the weekend and there's replies running into 2 pages! More than I thought I would get - ta very much everyone.

To add to the dilema I've been extremely nice to Mrs WelshYiddo (night in London without the kids and a day shopping in Camden) and my budget has upped to £750/800! ;)

Mr Pig - I'm currently on a Gary Fisher Pirhana, bought in 2000/01. It had hardly been ridden until the last 2 years. The only problem I've ever had with it is the bottom bracket going and its been a fine bike.

I'll try and get out on the bikes I fancy but if there's any other nuggets of advice (or warnings) please let me know!

In that case have a look at Cube Ltd Comp. If you get a 2009 bike it'll have Rockshox Tora Forks. Wait 'til 2010 and you'll get Dart 3......

Simon R

I ride a Voodoo Bantu,great entry level bike for a few quid under £600.
Only available from helfrauds though,(get it online and don't let the muppets in the shop touch it).

Mr Pig

Cubist said:
If you get a 2009 bike it'll have Rockshox Tora Forks. Wait 'til 2010 and you'll get Dart 3......

This is typical. Over the past couple of years, as the China price has gone up, Bikes have either gone up in price or suffered a drop in spec. My bike is identical to the following year's model but was about £100 cheaper!

Would I be right in saying that the Garry Fisher is a steel-framed bike? One of my friends has a steel Garry Fisher of similar vintage. It is a very comfortable and well sorted bike. Take great care in replacing it!

OP
OP
WelshYiddo

WelshYiddo

Quick update if anyones interested - I didn't go for any of the ones I originally listed but instead I've bought a Cannondale SL3 2010.

Now, what I don't want is anyone posting here that it's crap or that I should've got something else. So if you could all very kindly tell me what an awaesome bike it is and what a fanatastic choice I've made! I don't like spending lots of money and I may very well cry if anyone puts doubt in my mind!

02GF74

Über Member
it's crap and you should've got something else

just kidding, looks a fine choice to me. which colour did you get?

10CdaleRedTrailSL3.jpg

or
10daleBlkTrailSL3.jpg

OP
OP
WelshYiddo

WelshYiddo

02GF74 said:
it's crap and you should've got something else

just kidding, looks a fine choice to me. which colour did you get?

10CdaleRedTrailSL3.jpg

or
10daleBlkTrailSL3.jpg
The sexy black one.

Went out on it yesterday - what a MASSIVE difference on the descents!!!!
Front sus and disc brakes make it all much more enjoyable!

Thanks everyone for advice and kind words.

AlanW

Guru
Well my first MTB was a Rockhopper Comp Disc, it was "nice" and that is about as exicted as I could get about it.

dsc03803i.jpg

I have since bought a Scott Scale 20, different league altogether, brilliant, love ridin' it.

scottmtbmarch2009014.jpg

02GF74

Über Member
AlanW said:
Well my first MTB was a Rockhopper Comp Disc, it was "nice" and that is about as exicted as I could get about it.

I have since bought a Scott Scale 20, different league altogether, brilliant, love ridin' it.

to the untrained eye, the appear the same :tired:, so what is it about the Scott that excites you so much?

AlanW

Guru
02GF74 said:
to the untrained eye, the appear the same :smile:, so what is it about the Scott that excites you so much?

Well the frame geometry is much better for a start, and although they are near enough the same size they will completely different to ride in so many ways.

Of course the fact that one has a average spec groupset while the Scott has near enough the highest spec.

Oh.....and the Scott frame is all carbon fibre, as is the seatpost, the stem and the handlebars, so it weighs in under 20lb ready to roll!

In fairness though, one was only £650 and the other one was quite a lot more. :angry:

l33rec

I have owned my kona for 4 years the front suspension is a lil soft for someone like myself built for comfort not speed ! but it has stood up well my only gripe was the quality of the fastners that rusted quickly

OP
OP
WelshYiddo

WelshYiddo

Well a few weeks on and I'm still happy with it.
Bit faster and more confident on downhills.

Only two gripes:
clunking noise/feeling from one pedal (I'm assuming bearings)
bit of rust on pedals and chain......tad dissapointed with that, my old Gary Fisher didn't have a spot of rust when it was retired to the back of the shed!

Top Bottom