Advice please on a terrible connundrum- Hewitt Cheviot SE or Thorn Raven Tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gwhite

Über Member
Another option would be Byerscycles. They do a Supertourist model and use the same frames as Paul Hewitt but they come in a bit cheaper. Superb bikes and they come with hand-built wheels. I'm impressed with the finish and attention to detail.No connection etc.

Jugular

Is there a reason people don't mention Orbit at this stage?

There are many frame builders out there, why not consider Roberts' Roughstuff another fantastic service, and well built bike. The amount of money you're considering spending here will of course buy you a very nice bike. Much of the joy is in the tailor making of the bike to your exact dimensions. Each of these bikes is lauded as the be all and end all by the majority of their owners. I have similarly ummed and ahhed about the same thing and have yet to come to a conclusion. The suggestion of trialling them is certainly a good one.
Thorn will make a frame for you here in Blighty if you pay for it.

OP
OP
J

Joe in Moscow

Thanks all for your replies, 3 hours ahead here and will reply in more detail on my afternoon off on Tuesday. Im based in Moscow, Russia now. Paul Hewitt's shop isn't far from Manchester though I think, so I'm hoping to go for a fitting when I go back home for a couple of weeks in July or August, in the meantime he's asked me to send him my measurements and he will build the bike up then finish the positional fitting when I come. It all feels like going to a tailor and having a suit made to measure,(not that i've ever done that). which is why I guess so many go with him. I recently bought a Hilleberg Nallo GT2 tent, something I'd wanted to own for years, and part of all this is treating yourself to something that'll last years and you know you'll get a lot of use out of. I WAS even considering Bike Friday's NWT at one point, but I really didn't like the almost Jehova's Witness type hype around it, and even less the small wheels. I also sent an email to them asking what i thought was a valid question - they claim that their foldable bikes offer a great way for the traveller to cycle without being charged extra for oversized luggage - BUT, their bikes weigh up to 20KG and more, and most airlines have a 20KG max weight limit anyway, so what difference does it make? You still have to pay lots for the excess weight you carry, even if it does fit neatly into a suitcase. Maybe I've missed something.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My husband recently bought an Aravis SuperTourist from Byercycles (mentioned above in the thread) which is another version of the Hewitt Cheviot. He likes it very much - it's light and comfortable but also seems pretty reliable so far. It's a lot, lot better looking than the Thorn (IMO). However, I think the Rohloff hub would be a good thing if possible.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've been using a Byercycles frame since '91 and I'm still well pleased with it.
Richard's a good wheelbuilder too. Having said that, my Open Pros have gone a bit out of true after a mere 4 years of touring, off-roading, commuting and general abuse...

onistjon

Joe - If you haven't already made a decision I have a 4 year old Paul Hewitt Cheviot SE which I would consider selling. I doubt I've done 1000 miles on it. what height are you? mine is a medium frame. i'm 5' 8" and i'm sure it would suit someone a few inches +/- .nothing wrong with the bike it's just that i didn't think it through properly and have preferred to stay off road. maybe when/if i retire i'll have time to get involved with a touring club! cost new was £1259.

Brains

Legendary Member
Both Bikes a top of the range. Both are very good

But to a certain extent I think you are comparing apples with oranges.

Are you thinking of heavy city traffic, 3rd world road levels (London) and the ability to haul 2 weeks shopping, a frame tent and a canoe (in which case go with Thorn), or decent countryside, rolling hills, endless smooth tarmac, a credit card as your luggage and perpetual summer (Hewitt)

I think the bottom line question is drops or straights.
Then get the right bike

willem

Über Member
Of course these are both good bikes, from very reputable builders. As others have pointed out, you need to decide first what kind of riding you want to do, and what you expect from the bike. There is one thing I want to make clear, however: a Rohloff hub does not force you to use a straight bar. You can fit the shifter at the bar end, on an auxiliary bar, or you can use the special Mittelmeyer shifter for drop bars: http://www.mittelmeyer.de/html/rennlenker.htm That is what I do on my 26 inch wheeled drop bar tourer, and I am very pleased with the result. It is just a bit stiffer than the original Rohloff shifter, but not that much. Shifting has never been easier.
Willem

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd also consider aesthetics. Thorns are doubtless excellent expedition bikes, but I personally couldn't look myself in the saddle again were I to ride something so desperately fugly.
*hides*

betty swollocks

large member
I'd also consider aesthetics. Thorns are doubtless excellent expedition bikes, but I personally couldn't look myself in the saddle again were I to ride something so desperately fugly.
*hides*

Ugly fugly schmugly:-

10nc4k1.jpg

Just put together a Thorn 'Sports Tour' frame, with my own selection of components.

Danny

Legendary Member
I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago, and decided on a Cheviot (though not an SE) in the end, mainly because of the bike fitting service that Paul Hewitt provides.

Paul advised me to change my riding position significantly and as a result hugely alleviated the lower back problems I had been suffering with.

He also provided much good advice about what equipment I should have on my Cheviot, and happily accommodated several last minutes changes in requirements. Build quality and setup were all excellent.

The main advantage you would get with a Thorn is that they offer a wider range of frame sizes than Paul Hewitt.

HelenD123

Guru
Ben Rowlands over on Crazyguyonabike runs a Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff and drop bars and has some quite comprehensive details and photos of his bike which you might find useful, although it seems like you're going with the Paul Hewitt. That should be find for anything you'll come across on tour if you are intending to stick mostly to tarmac. I've taken my Dawes Ultra Galaxy (which is very similar) down quite a few tracks.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's worth remembering that Hewitt's also do 26 wheeled versions of the Cheviot and all models are available with straight bars if you want.

The base frame for the Cheviot is indeed made in Taiwan but fully custom frames are available from him if you have the money.

The idea that any full weight tourer like the Cheviot or Galaxy, etc, can only handle 'smooth rolling tarmac' is laughable. There is no part of any 26inch wheeled tourer that is stronger and just because they look more akin to old mountainbikes doesn't make them better for rough stuff. The limiting factor is always going to be clearances and this will be normally be the mudguards on both sorts of bikes until you take them off.

And don't peddle that drivel about 26inch wheels being stronger - decent wheels of any size never buckle or break spokes. The 700c wheels are proving plenty strong enough for the latest rage 29er mountainbikes which are invariably ridden by bigger, more aggressive riders. And the advantage of 29ers with their 700c wheels? They roll much better over rocks and bumps. So if you want a rough stuff tourer - do what the mountainbike world is discovering; use 700c wheels.

dobo

northern monkey
i bought a surley long haul trucker fantastic piece of kit for less than a grand. very nice stable ride 700/32c tyres all the braze on's you need take a look at 1........................

regards alan

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is sizing.

Maybe the Cheviott has changed since I last looked at it. But I seem to remember that it only comes in 3 or 4 sizes. I've heard that PH does a comprehensive frame fitting service...but then tries to fit you to one of four frame sizes - is that true?

If it is, then it kind of negates the purpose of the fitting. Surely most people can work out which one of four frame sizes they will fit?

The Thorn comes in a few more with options for top tube lengths if I remember rightly.

I am 6'3" and found that the largest Cheviott was till a little too small. Whereas the Club Tour was available in my size.

Cheers,

Top Bottom