Advice please on a terrible connundrum- Hewitt Cheviot SE or Thorn Raven Tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago, and decided on a Cheviot (though not an SE) in the end, mainly because of the bike fitting service that Paul Hewitt provides.

Paul advised me to change my riding position significantly and as a result hugely alleviated the lower back problems I had been suffering with.

He also provided much good advice about what equipment I should have on my Cheviot, and happily accommodated several last minutes changes in requirements. Build quality and setup were all excellent.

The main advantage you would get with a Thorn is that they offer a wider range of frame sizes than Paul Hewitt.

hi danny can i ask what exactly did paul advise you to change on your riding position .i to am starting to suffer from lower back pain ,did he give you any specific measurements to go by .
sorry to the op dont mean to hijack your thread.

Franckster

I'm currently in the process of buying Hewitt Cheviot SEs for myself and for my wife. I can tell you that there is a lot more to the Hewitt fitting service than just telling you you need a small, medium or large frame. The frame size is only half of the task of obtaining the optimum individual fit. There are also infinate numbers of ways to further tweak the geometry by saddle and handlebar position. Of course, the former most of us can do at home but the latter needs to incorporated at the construction and purchase phase by the trained eye.
Yes, I believe the regular Cheviot frames are imported but if these standard small, medium and large frames are unsuitable for the individual then Mr. Hewitt offers custom frames built on his premises in Leyland. I'm 6'3" with some very awkward statistics and have never actually managed to get a cycle to fit me. I've therefore always gone for the largest off the peg cycle and put up with the inevitable aches, pains, lumps and sores that come with touring on a bike that doesn't really fit. Enough is enough, I've spoilt myself and the Meme Sahib by ordering brand new Cheviot SEs in readiness for next years touring in France. She's not a freak like me and was able to get an off the peg Cheviot frame in the small size. However, in order to get it to fit her Mr. Hewiit has made several alterations to the standard fittings such as compact bars and a shorter stem. I'm having a customised frame built for me at the shop.
The spec on the Cheviot is comparable with the Ultra Galaxy and it's cheaper. It's tough from what I can gather and the wheels are hand built on site by Mr. Hewitt who had a respected reputation as a wheelman even before he began selling bikes. If I wanted to buy a high quality dinner suit and found a tailor who would offer the same quality as the off the peg ones but tailor made for me personally... and cheaper... there would be no choice. Being comfortable when on holiday touring has to be a priority.
Hope this helps.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'm currently in the process of buying Hewitt Cheviot SEs for myself and for my wife. I can tell you that there is a lot more to the Hewitt fitting service than just telling you you need a small, medium or large frame. The frame size is only half of the task of obtaining the optimum individual fit. There are also infinate numbers of ways to further tweak the geometry by saddle and handlebar position. Of course, the former most of us can do at home but the latter needs to incorporated at the construction and purchase phase by the trained eye.
Yes, I believe the regular Cheviot frames are imported but if these standard small, medium and large frames are unsuitable for the individual then Mr. Hewitt offers custom frames built on his premises in Leyland. I'm 6'3" with some very awkward statistics and have never actually managed to get a cycle to fit me. I've therefore always gone for the largest off the peg cycle and put up with the inevitable aches, pains, lumps and sores that come with touring on a bike that doesn't really fit. Enough is enough, I've spoilt myself and the Meme Sahib by ordering brand new Cheviot SEs in readiness for next years touring in France. She's not a freak like me and was able to get an off the peg Cheviot frame in the small size. However, in order to get it to fit her Mr. Hewiit has made several alterations to the standard fittings such as compact bars and a shorter stem. I'm having a customised frame built for me at the shop.
The spec on the Cheviot is comparable with the Ultra Galaxy and it's cheaper. It's tough from what I can gather and the wheels are hand built on site by Mr. Hewitt who had a respected reputation as a wheelman even before he began selling bikes. If I wanted to buy a high quality dinner suit and found a tailor who would offer the same quality as the off the peg ones but tailor made for me personally... and cheaper... there would be no choice. Being comfortable when on holiday touring has to be a priority.
Hope this helps.

Enjoy your new bikes and wlcome to the forums. I am not in the same league as most on here.Just do the odd overnight tour. But maybe onme day....

Top Bottom