Advice please on picking a £1k road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Hi,

I know you guys must have seen a million threads like this, but I am a complete newbie to road cycling and I'm looking for advice.

My employer recently signed up to "Cyclescheme" and I intend to grab myself a good road bike through it.

It will be mostly used for a commute a few times a week as well as some long runs in my spare time.

I'm looking at around the £1k mark to spend.

Having spoken to a guy on another shift at work who is seriously into road cycling, I took his advice on a few models to look at.

Unfortunately, the three I sort of had "shortlisted" are not available through the partner shops listed under our Cyclescheme. They were:-
  • Focus Cayo 2008
  • Dolan Mythos
  • Planet-X Carbon
Bit of a pain, Wiggle have the Focus tied up pretty tight and they are not part of the scheme my employer has signed up to. And I really, really had my heart set on a Cayo.

I did hear that Halfords can source you pretty much anything, but after browsing a few bike forums, it seems this is not now the case. Perhaps something to do with them pushing their own @£1k road bike, the Carrera Virago Carbon?. I dunno.....can anyone confirm that Halfords will not source a Cayo for customers?.

Anyhow, I'm now looking at three bikes at the £1k mark and would appreciate some comments on them.
  • Pinarello FP1 2008
  • Bianchi 1885 Hydro Carbon Veloce B4P
  • Ducati by Bianchi Factory Alu Carbon Mirage
All appear to be stonking value for money, especially the Pinarello. The 1885 always gets good write ups and the Ducati?.....Well, perhaps you are paying more for the name on the frame?. Being the owner of an Aprilia RSV 1000 Superbike, I have a soft spot for all things "two wheeled" and "Italian"....lol.

Any advice appreciated. :evil:

LLB

If your limit is £1k I think you need to budget £700 for the bike and and the remainder on shoes/pedals/mudguards/lights/trip counter/track pump/clothing etc etc. as you will be wanting to start resolving these things after a couple of days use. They soon add up in value.

Oh, don't forget the spare inner tubes either ;)

Mega pricey bikes even though light as a feather are fairly fragile and the higher end ones are for the committed (or is that should be committed :angry: )

The bottom line is you need to get test rides on them to see what fits you best.

beancounter

RSV,

I empathise with your post. I recently got back into cycling after a gap of a few years. Had a look round at what was out there (I like a good deal) and eventually bought a Cannondale Six13 Team edition, for about £1300 (half price). It's light as a feather, goes like stink and is strikingly good-looking (to my eyes). I used to have a Cannondale so I was pre-disposed to buy another one anyway.

BUT!!!! not for one moment did I consider whether or not a full on race bike was what I needed (rather than what I wanted). It just never occurred to me! Now I've got fit enough to commute to work by bike I realise that I wouldn't/couldn't use the Cannondale in a million years, so I'm using my old Specialized mountain bike with road tyres on it.

Would I have been better off buying a commuting bike, or a touring bike? Or a hybrid? Maybe I would. Maybe YOU would. Just think about it (is all I'm saying).

Seen your RSV, very nice. I too have a soft spot for Italians...

Bc

LLB

Echoing beancounters post, I started with this Giant OCR1

ocr1.jpg

and used it for a while, but it was so nice(read pricey), I didn't want to ride it in all weather and road salt, and TBH felt a bit of a fraud riding it as it was well beyond my ability, and so just recently swapped it for this Marin Fairfax -

fairfax2.jpg

Both got carbon forks, ally frames, The OCR1 was obviously higher spec'd but I prefer a more upright riding position as I spend enough time riding with my upper bodyweight on my hands on my 600 Ninja, and spent 95% of the time riding the Giant with my hands on the 'hoods'.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorry, am I missing something? Why wouldn't/couldn't you use a nice bike for your daily commute - a v nice bike if poss? Is it for fear of damage, or what? Having traded my way up to a Vitus 979, I now enjoy it bigtime, twice a day - why would/could/should I even think of 'trading back down'? Baffled, me.

beancounter

[quote name='swee'pea99']Sorry, am I missing something? Why wouldn't/couldn't you use a nice bike for your daily commute - a v nice bike if poss? Is it for fear of damage, or what? Having traded my way up to a Vitus 979, I now enjoy it bigtime, twice a day - why would/could/should I even think of 'trading back down'? Baffled, me.[/quote]

Obviously you can, if your circumstances are appropriate. Some of my commute is on cycle paths which are poorly surfaced. Also, I have clipless pedals on my race bike, so I need to wear the appropriate footwear - I'd rather not do that commuting (I may have to walk if I have a mechanical "issue"). I may get hit by a car/ped/thug - I'd rather have my old mountain bike trashed/stolen than my £2k racer.

bc

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fair enough. As you say, my circs are appropriate. The roads are good and I park in the office. Slightly baffled by the pedals thing - I wouldn't commute without my trusty SPDs, but maybe that's just me.

Bigtallfatbloke

I like the look of the 1885 Bianchis best.....out of those listed...what about the Via Nirone 7 alu carb 105 at about £950 listed? I heard that is a more comfy ride.....and I WANT ONE!!!:biggrin:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I like the look of the 1885 Bianchis best.....out of those listed...what about the Via Nirone 7 alu carb 105 at about £950 listed? I heard that is a more comfy ride.....and I WANT ONE!!!;)
BTFB, I thought you wanted a 928 carbon, I'm sure I read somewhere you were thinking of getting one of them.

beancounter

As it seems RSV Ecosse can't be bothered, I'd like to thank everyone on this thread who made the time to offer some advice (including myself).

So - thanks!

bc

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

beancounter said:
As it seems RSV Ecosse can't be bothered, I'd like to thank everyone on this thread who made the time to offer some advice (including myself).

So - thanks!

bc

Nothing of the sort m8, I've been on duty and I've a million and one things on my plate just now, so can't be sat in front of a computer all day like some folk can. :smile:

And yes, of course I appreciate the advice, thats a "given". Sorry I took so long to reply.

Anyhow, I'm off out this afternoon to Velo Ecosse in Edinburgh to look at the Pinarello FP1. Been chatting via email with them and they seem like a very helpful bunch.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Apologies for the "thread bumpage". :tired:

I finally plumped for the Pinarello FP1.

Looks fantastic, even better in the flesh than in pics.

Velo Ecosse are doing the 2008 model for £800 on offer. Yeah, I know its got Tiagra on it and some folk have commented that I could have done better as far as the groupset goes, but then I can always upgrade at a later date if I even feel the need to do so.

Went in, got sized up for the correct frame and put me deposit down on a 54cm one.

Just waiting for my C2W voucher to arrive now!!!

Top Bottom