Advice please. Toe clips with or without straps or half clips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Hi, I'm asking the commuters because I think you will have the most experience.
I need new pedals and whilst looking I see there are a range of toe clips.
So, toe clips with or without straps or half clips?
My old pedals have clips with straps that I never tighten.
Are resin or leather coated clips better for your shoes?
My present clips leave scratches on my shoes.
Thanks.

I asked about pedals in a thread in Components and have been recommended to look at Wellgo retro pedals by @raleighnut .

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you feel comfortable using the toe clips & strap setup you are using at present?
If yes, why not just replace your current setup with newer versions. Using plastic as opposed to metal clips myself & never had a problem with them. The half clips I've seen tend to be metal only, which may not help the shoe scratching problem.
What about separate footwear for use on the bike.

RebornBumbler

Yes, resin (or leather-covered) clips will effectively stop the damage to your shoes.

I doubt the 'half-clips' will give you the stability you want, even though you don't have the straps tight (I don't have them particularly tight either).

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Do you feel comfortable using the toe clips & strap setup you are using at present?
If yes, why not just replace your current setup with newer versions. Using plastic as opposed to metal clips myself & never had a problem with them. The half clips I've seen tend to be metal only, which may not help the shoe scratching problem.
What about separate footwear for use on the bike.

I always use the same shoes, they don't have vents so keep my feet a bit dryer, they're scuffed and the right shoe is quite oily! It would be nice to wear other shoes. It's only 2 miles to work but I still carry clean shoes in my backpack.

classic33

Leg End Member
Right shoe may be making contact with the chain/chainring if its oily.
A spacer may help, but that would bring its own problems.
Is the oil around the area where the strap is by any chance?

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
The oil is all along the inside. The strap on the toe clip is a bit oily, but it falls to the left when my foot's not in it.
How do you insert a photo?

djb1971

Legendary Member
To stop the strap from moving, twist it where it goes through the pedal a couple of turns. Keep them tight and twisting stops mine from moving.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru

Top Bottom