Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone.

Right I am new to cycling and looking to lose a bit of timber and improve my strength and fitness.

Looking for a second hand bike and got about 150-160 to spend.

What recommendations would you all suggest.
I've looked at carrera, raleigh 100 and similar bikes. But never know what to do foe the best.

Cheers

Doobiesis

Über Member
Depends what type of cycling you're doing. Mountain biking or road. Or a hybrid?

Second hand bikes are what you're gonna get with your budget. But don't forget Helmet, gloves and a waterproof jacket.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Shifting timber takes many hours per week on a bike, I've previously lost 2 stone through fast walking and diet but cycling is such an efficient form of transport that on its own, it's actually quite hard to use cycling for weight loss.
The crux of what I'm saying is that whatever bike you get, make it one that you really really like and which you'll ride for riding's sake, that's the best possible bike for you. That's the bike you'll spend the most hours on.

As @Doobiesis says, first choice is probably what kind of riding you want to do.

gbb

Legendary Member
The old Raleigh Airlites were fine, because you've mentioned that one specifically, is there one you have your eye on ?
8 speed will be better that 7, 8 speed will have STI shifters on the handlebars rather than down tube shifters on the 7 speed...i never particularly liked them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're looking for a second hand bike you need to beware. Unless you know what to look for it might end up costing more than going new. @biggs682 of this parish usually has a few classic bikes on offer and all are checked. Otherwise keep an eye for one in the classifieds. What is your height and inseam? You need to get the correct size.

Be wary of going straight to a drop bar bike, if you really don't have any core strength. Some people find that if they are carrying a little more than a couple of extra pounds around the middle, that their stomach and back muscles don't cope so well with the position of a full on drop bar road bike, and that a flat bar hybrid type bike, with its more upright seating position, is far more comfortable to start with.

AndyRM

XOXO
Second hand will get you the most bike for your money at that price.

If new (and on the road), the Carrera TdF is a pretty good place to start, but beware that not all Halford's are created equal so double check that it's been set up correctly. The Triban range from Decathlon is also decent.

AndyRM

XOXO
Be wary of going straight to a drop bar bike, if you really don't have any core strength. Some people find that if they are carrying a little more than a couple of extra pounds around the middle, that their stomach and back muscles don't cope so well with the position of a full on drop bar road bike, and that a flat bar hybrid type bike, with its more upright seating position, is far more comfortable to start with.

Not sure if serious...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

i agree with this but riding on the flat top section or hoods might be ok

airborneal

Hello everyone.

Right I am new to cycling and looking to lose a bit of timber and improve my strength and fitness.

Looking for a second hand bike and got about 150-160 to spend.

What recommendations would you all suggest.
I've looked at carrera, raleigh 100 and similar bikes. But never know what to do foe the best.

Cheers
Hi, where are you situated and approx what size of bike are you looking for ? I ask because I have a Raleigh Airlite 300 with shimano 105 [10 speed shifters] that I am going to sell it's would be near your price range. Regards, Airborneal
ps. I am new to forum so hope I am not breaking any rules note size 47cm
DSCI9168.JPG
DSCI9171.JPG

OP
OP
P

Pedalpower01

Thanks for all the replys.

Looking for road bike. I live in some very hilly countryside so would be out on country roads a great deal. My fitness levels are already fairly good just carrying extra pounds. I will shop around I think maybe try and get a test ride on one or two.

Thanks so much guys very much appreciated

Top Bottom