Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've posted in the informal rides as this will hopefully result in an informal ride (plus a bit of charity riding for me) but I'm happy if the mods want to move it to Charity rides.

So the background, my nephew is just completing a 6 month tour in Afghanistan and we're having a bit of a party with collections and stuff for Help for Heroes. As an aside to this, my brother has asked if I'd be willing to do a sponsored bike ride for H4H which I'm happy to do.

Last year, I was sponsored for Adam's (Flying Dodo) Kent ride which involved cycling London to Ashford, going on Adam's very enjoyable ride and then cycling back from Ashford to London (163 miles in total). This raised £300+ for SANE.

I'm now looking at possibilities for the H4H. I've considered gaining sponsorship for a FNRttC and SMRbtH, probably the Whitstable one in June as this is probably the toughest of the FNRttCs. However I have reservations about this as I feel if people are sponsoring me then what I'm attempting should push me more than I feel that does.

So the advice, does anyone have any ideas what cycle ride I could do? I don't particularly want to have to stay anywhere (so we're probably looking at 24 hours max) although I don't mind cycling through the night. Ideally the ride would leave from London and return to London.

And finally, would anyone like to join me????

frank9755

Cyclist
I've posted in the informal rides as this will hopefully result in an informal ride (plus a bit of charity riding for me) but I'm happy if the mods want to move it to Charity rides.

So the background, my nephew is just completing a 6 month tour in Afghanistan and we're having a bit of a party with collections and stuff for Help for Heroes. As an aside to this, my brother has asked if I'd be willing to do a sponsored bike ride for H4H which I'm happy to do.

Last year, I was sponsored for Adam's (Flying Dodo) Kent ride which involved cycling London to Ashford, going on Adam's very enjoyable ride and then cycling back from Ashford to London (163 miles in total). This raised £300+ for SANE.

I'm now looking at possibilities for the H4H. I've considered gaining sponsorship for a FNRttC and SMRbtH, probably the Whitstable one in June as this is probably the toughest of the FNRttCs. However I have reservations about this as I feel if people are sponsoring me then what I'm attempting should push me more than I feel that does.

So the advice, does anyone have any ideas what cycle ride I could do? I don't particularly want to have to stay anywhere (so we're probably looking at 24 hours max) although I don't mind cycling through the night. Ideally the ride would leave from London and return to London.

If you want to do a 24 hour ride, then why not do The 24-hour ride...?

This year's national championships are in Sussex this June. Entries need to be in in a couple of weeks' time!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

I'd rather raise money for the Legion (which helps all service people past and present, unlike H4H) , but H4H is still a good cause, of course. How about keeping a service link in the route, such as Hendon (RAF museum) via Aldershot (home of the Army) to Portsmouth (home of the Royal Navy, not just me!) and back to London? Nice easy 160 miles or so.

London - Wooton Bassett, dip down to Stonehenge and blast back into London for a 200+ I reckon. The Stonehenge ride is a good 'un and Wooton Bassett was just a thought really... given its relevance to recent times.

Here's a link to mike e and his exploits in 2009 - allez retour to Bognor in an elite peloton. (Check out post 362 if you want to see a horror shot! :eek:)

Here's some guff about the Stonehenge bitof what I suggested, as a 'taster'. Thinking about it, perhaps you should do a night ride down there and do the 'solstice' bit (peace, man) and ride it back, as the views down there are agreeabilus maximus. Gets a bit whammy when reaching Basingstoke and places like that but it's ok. Dave has probably got a route in his Garmin but it's an A30 blast. 21st June is theis year's solstice and it is a whacky thing to behold, that's for sure - but adds a tint to a long ride that's good for the soul! :smile:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for the advice guys.

Frank, I couldn't see anywhere to register on their website so I've emailed them for further details. I must admit I'm a bit intimidated by the fact someone managed 480+ miles!!!!

While not discounting your idea Stuart, I do like Teef's. It seems to have everything I need: link to the army, particularly Afghanistan; challenge in that it's 200+ miles and some other stuff like Stonehenge.

So does anyone want to come with me?

I might do the Solstice as it was a blast last time. Being accosted by spaced-out types and druids singing anti-establishment raps to Rolf Harris tunes is a rare treat. In which case it will be upward for 30 odd miles to Wooton and then a right (unless you are the sort that's left to your own Devizes... :rolleyes:), returning through what would probably the London-Cardiff ride out, in reverse. Frank will offer an expert opinion shortly - I believe he will be finishing his community service about 15:00

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, I could be interested.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Only input I can give to this at the moment is that you can expect to cover over 250 miles in the time you have. That puts a lot of places in range. To craft it into some sort of shape, you'll either want to introduce a time challenge (can you get x miles and back within 24 hours?) or geographical features (x counties/coasts/cities/barracks in y hours, or just pick somewhere that is well known to be non local (you could ride 'home' for example, paralleling (or using) the A5 in what... 220 miles?)

ILB and self did a nice 'against the clock' dash to Stonehenge for sunset, heading out via the FNRttC route (ish) over Ditchling, along the bottom into Bournemouth and then up to the henge for sun down. All went a little wild trying to head East from there, but I'm sure its doable.

There's a thread on these very forums that offers the route (and result).

In our summer of fun, ILB and I found the long rides easiest if we set off very early in the morning. I mean, 3am kind of time. That gives a nice flow to things as you get a reasonably good sleep the night before, get all excited leaving under cover of darkness, get to your half way point around in the heat of the day, aim to be back around midnight, fail and get in around 3, have a good sleep and still have half the weekend left.

Depending on the time of year and weather, this can work out really well. Sunrise over a London landmark is always a nice start to the ride, and if its coupled with sunset somewhere suitably other, even better.

Or, given your location at home, what about a ring of Kent? Sunrise near home, Head east towards Gillingham, Whitstable, Margate along your beloved A2 until you run out of guts, will, tarmac, land. Turn right to pick up Ramsgate, Sandwich, Deal, Dover, Folkestone, Hythe, New Romney and Rye (or wherever the boundary is), then turn right again to take Ewhurst, Tunbrige Wells, Sevenoaks, Bromley, and home. That's probably less than 200 miles, so would be pretty safe.

For a 250 mile round trip, you could ride London to Bath return, or the Severn, or the Rea for that matter. Broadly speaking, you can just draw a 115 mile radius ring around London, and whatever falls inside is probably routable as a there and back on minor roads for 250 all in.*

* YMMV. Ours did :smile:

Nicely put Andy, and I avoided mentioning our intended rendezvous for sunset at Stonehenge. The Mouseketeer second XI were against it that night, you two were on autopilot and while we were freezing our stainless steel nuts off, the young folk of Basingstoke were walking around in virtually nothing... You bloody crackpot - do not take any advice from this bloke Martin, you may be a Northerner, but you aint that daft.

Now, you could always try a gentle spin up the A12, explore Essex, wait until dark and then get back to somewhere near London... we'll send out the dog with a brandy barrel - eventually :smile:

frank9755

Cyclist
Quick reply during the Giro adverts (aka community service!)

You enter the TT via the standard application form which will be on the CTT website. I'm already planning to do it. Will dig out proper links later.

Martin could do way more than 250 miles in 24 hours. I'm not as strong a rider as he is but I did that the other weekend in 18 hours (400km audax), including a nice lunch break! On reasonably flat terrain and with a set of aerobars, I think he would be able to do 400+

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I am keen on the Wootton Bassett idea. It's got everything I need. Would have to take leave from work to do Solstice though

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Martin could do way more than 250 miles in 24 hours.

LOL! I was so *NOT* going to say that first. Now that you have, its fine. I agree. He's on fine form and can rip the legs off me any day (and seems to every 4th Saturday at the moment). Throw the circle a little wider mart. Its OK. Frank says you'll make it round :biggrin:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I've always like silly ideas that turn into great adventours, impossible is nothing as they say and so, when ever this date falls, as long as am free, ill be there with you.

As for my ideas...

Ive always wanted to do a Sunrise to Sunset Ride, as in the furthest point East, to the further point west, as in one side of the UK to the other... as in say Great Yarmouth, where I am sure is where the sun first touches the UK then Lands Ends, the last point.. However, thats massive mileage and involves over night stops either end.. but would be amazing... However, Broadstairs to Lands end is about 360miles, which, would be a rolling speed of 20mph... :ohmy:

However, Gt. Yarmouth/Broadstairs to say Wootton Bassett is doable, massive, but do able... but still, over night at one or both stages...

Just my two penceworth...

Top Bottom