Advice re - Last ride(s) pre the essex 100 miles this Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dzzi

Hi,

So 2 years after doing 100km for the first time i will heading of to complete 100 miles this coming Sunday for the very worthy Action Medical Charity.

I've put in as many miles as i could from a training perspective, a 2 week break for the family holiday caused a slight blip in training and a slight increase in weight (mine not the bike obv).

Strava says i have done 9 rides for a total of 418km in the last 28 days and my total YTD distance is 1418km, pretty small beer for some of you !

Last Rides (all solo)
Friday 23rd 50 miles (3 hours 22min)
Sunday 25th 16 miles (1hour 5mins)
Monday 30 miles (2 hours 2 mins)

So my thinking is maybe do 20 miles tonight and then maybe a leisurely 10 on Saturday ?
How does that sound (I am 47..not sure that matters in this case ?)

A quick thank you to the collective forum for all the advice, hints etc that have helped me to get a little faster, be a lot safer and enjoy my cycling much more.

Thanks

Dave

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Check your bike
Wear the right kit
Load the route into a gps
Eat right the night before
pre hydrate that morning
stretch & take the first few miles to warm up
Ride at your own pace not others
Carry two water bottles and sip regularly
leave enough in your 'tank' for the last 10 miles...for it is written they shall be uphill against killer winds in heavy traffic!
..yeah..do the 20/10 thing like you say
Enjoy it!:becool:

..BTW...
I used to live near Noak Hill road

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

thanks, good tips, i am riding with someone but im much more used to riding on my own and taking my foot of the gas when it suits me (top of hills) does seem to work better for me over longer distances..
Never cycled up Noak Hill...small world though :-)

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
thanks, good tips, i am riding with someone but im much more used to riding on my own and taking my foot of the gas when it suits me (top of hills) does seem to work better for me over longer distances..
Never cycled up Noak Hill...small world though :-)

..If you don't fancy noak hill in the traffic how about taking the quieter lanes up from dunton road through burstead village...the hills got abit of a kick in it at the top but less cars and more trees and fileds...much nicer lol!

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

i have cycled from Billericay to Stanford-le-hope quite a few times, as you say through Little Burstead and then the lower dunton road, over the a127 and then the road that runs parallel to the a128 and its always a little hillier than i think it should be !

Mile195

Veteran
I wouldn't bother with your 10 on Saturday at all - it'll be of no benefit. Take a break for the day, and spend it eating pasta instead...

Reactions: 4F
I live in the dunton road area and most of my rides entail going up that hill(rectory road) you were talking about but on the plus side it's nice coming down at the end of the ride.

Good luck on sunday dzzi and if you ever fancy going on a ride out one day out get in touch.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

Thanks i will let you know, im thinking of doing the Essex Roads Autum leaves, but lets see how if feel after this one.

Top Bottom