Advice sought for Glen Tromie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am currently fine tuning my proposed Durness to Dover trip which I am hoping to do in the middle of September this year.
I would like some advice regarding a section from Kingussie to Blair Atholl.
[FONT=&quot]Looking at the 1:50000 map of the area it would appear that there is a route which might be do-able from Drumguish to Dalnagardoch Lodge (A9) via Glen Tromie and Gaick Lodge. I can see looking at the area using Google earth, a good chunk looks like tarmac or landrover track, but parts look as they might not be suitable for a bike loaded with panniers, has anyone cycled this route.[/FONT]

aberal

Veteran
This chap here (crash_gav) says he did it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I did it north to south about a month ago: 700x35c tyres, saddlebag, no panniers.
There will be fords to cross, so you need to have some footwear sorted out. I rode in SPD sandals and just let them get wet. My mate took a pair of crocs. How easy these are to cross will depend on the weather. It is possible that you won't be able to cross them

From the A9 up to Sronphadruig Lodge is good landrover track, apart from a short stretch where it got washed away (just divert onto the grass).
Shortly after the lodge, there's a ford (1) across to the west bank, and another (2) crossing back again 2-300m later, just upstream of a high earth bank. If you look carefully, you should see a narrow path coming down towards the river . If you don't cross the first ford, there are a couple of tracks setting off along the east side, but there was no sign of them at the other end, so you could end up wheeling the bike through the heather for 400m or so.
Along the east side of Loch an Duin, it's an obvious narrow path running across a fairly steep slope. I just wheeled the bike. With panniers, you will have to walk on the uphill side of the bike.
The path end short or where the river runs northwards out of the loch at another ford. This was OK stepping across the rocks.
Just after this ford there's the end of the track from the other side. This is mostly a heather up the middle landrover track. Just short of Gaick Lodge there's largish ford that could be impassable in wet weather, though it could be easy.
From Gaick Lodge to the small dam at the end of Loch an t-Seilich is unsurfaced road (with stones too large for comfort). From the dam down is tarmac of varying standard apart from about 200m where it joins the B970 at Tromie bridge (to discourage passers by from exploring?)

IMG_0456_NN717787_Edendon_Water_for.jpg

Ford just past Sronphadruig Lodge

IMG_0451_NN717789_Edendon_Water_for.jpg

2nd crossing. The path ends some 20m behind the camera, the ford bypass runs across the top above the earth slope just past Sean's head. We crossed via the shingle bank immediately past the calm stretch of water.

IMG_0450_NN721799_Loch_an_Duin_path.jpg

path along side of Loch an Duin

IMG_0442_NN735820_GlenTromie.jpg

track between Loch an Duin and Gaick Lodge

IMG_0435_NN757835_Gaick_ford.jpg

ford near Gaick Lodge

andrew_s

Legendary Member
North of Inverness, my route to Tongue was

Cycle route (NCN 1?) via Kessock Bridge and Dingwall to Alness (almost), B9176,
Up Strath Rusdale via Lochan a' Chairn and Diebidale to Glencalvie Lodge and Croick,
Up Strath Cuileannach and over to Glen Einig and Oykell Bridge (hotel),
Down the road to Invercassley (hotel, shop, closed Weds pm),
Up Glen Cassley as far as the power station, then climb steeply over to the north end of Loch Shin
Camp by the side of Loch Merkland
Over Bealach am Meirleach between West Merkland and Gobernuisgach Lodge
(then a road route to Tongue via Altnaharra and Bettyhill, so as not to arrive too early)

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
andrew_s said:
I did it north to south about a month ago: 700x35c tyres, saddlebag, no panniers.
There will be fords to cross, so you need to have some footwear sorted out. I rode in SPD sandals and just let them get wet. My mate took a pair of crocs. How easy these are to cross will depend on the weather. It is possible that you won't be able to cross them

From the A9 up to Sronphadruig Lodge is good landrover track, apart from a short stretch where it got washed away (just divert onto the grass).
Shortly after the lodge, there's a ford (1) across to the west bank, and another (2) crossing back again 2-300m later, just upstream of a high earth bank. If you look carefully, you should see a narrow path coming down towards the river . If you don't cross the first ford, there are a couple of tracks setting off along the east side, but there was no sign of them at the other end, so you could end up wheeling the bike through the heather for 400m or so.
Along the east side of Loch an Duin, it's an obvious narrow path running across a fairly steep slope. I just wheeled the bike. With panniers, you will have to walk on the uphill side of the bike.
The path end short or where the river runs northwards out of the loch at another ford. This was OK stepping across the rocks.
Just after this ford there's the end of the track from the other side. This is mostly a heather up the middle landrover track. Just short of Gaick Lodge there's largish ford that could be impassable in wet weather, though it could be easy.
From Gaick Lodge to the small dam at the end of Loch an t-Seilich is unsurfaced road (with stones too large for comfort). From the dam down is tarmac of varying standard apart from about 200m where it joins the B970 at Tromie bridge (to discourage passers by from exploring?)

IMG_0456_NN717787_Edendon_Water_for.jpg

Ford just past Sronphadruig Lodge

IMG_0451_NN717789_Edendon_Water_for.jpg

2nd crossing. The path ends some 20m behind the camera, the ford bypass runs across the top above the earth slope just past Sean's head. We crossed via the shingle bank immediately past the calm stretch of water.

IMG_0450_NN721799_Loch_an_Duin_path.jpg

path along side of Loch an Duin

IMG_0442_NN735820_GlenTromie.jpg

track between Loch an Duin and Gaick Lodge

IMG_0435_NN757835_Gaick_ford.jpg

ford near Gaick Lodge
Thank you for the Pictures, with care it seems to be a interesting route, rather than following the A9. Deff something to think about.

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
andrew_s said:
North of Inverness, my route to Tongue was

Cycle route (NCN 1?) via Kessock Bridge and Dingwall to Alness (almost), B9176,
Up Strath Rusdale via Lochan a' Chairn and Diebidale to Glencalvie Lodge and Croick,
Up Strath Cuileannach and over to Glen Einig and Oykell Bridge (hotel),
Down the road to Invercassley (hotel, shop, closed Weds pm),
Up Glen Cassley as far as the power station, then climb steeply over to the north end of Loch Shin
Camp by the side of Loch Merkland
Over Bealach am Meirleach between West Merkland and Gobernuisgach Lodge
(then a road route to Tongue via Altnaharra and Bettyhill, so as not to arrive too early)

Having looked at your route on the map it looks imteresting, can you tell me what the track is like from the power station over to Loch Shin, and also from West Merkland over to Gobernuisgach Lodge, I will be travelling in reverse to your route.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
IMG_0147_Bealach_nam_Meirleach_trac.jpg

The track between Gobernuisgach Lodge and West Merkland is good unsurfaced road to the lodge, then reasonably good twin track landrover over to West Merkland. They are putting a pipeline of some sort in at West Merkland, so the last 500m may be muddy or loose rocky (OK when we were there).

IMG_0133_Glen_Cassley_track.jpg

From Loch Shin over to the power station in Glen Cassley is surfaced for power station traffic. The section from the road to Duchally Lodge is landrover track - a little on the rocky side in places. Don't take the higher track that doesn't go anywhere.

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
andrew_s said:
The track between Gobernuisgach Lodge and West Merkland is good unsurfaced road to the lodge, then reasonably good twin track landrover over to West Merkland. They are putting a pipeline of some sort in at West Merkland, so the last 500m may be muddy or loose rocky (OK when we were there).

From Loch Shin over to the power station in Glen Cassley is surfaced for power station traffic. The section from the road to Duchally Lodge is landrover track - a little on the rocky side in places. Don't take the higher track that doesn't go anywhere.

Thank you for the images, Def making me rethink my route from Durness, was going to follow the west coast route to Ullapool then then A835 to Inverness, a section which I have cycled before, now I think I might go Durness toward Tongue, then at Hope, take the B road longside Loch Hope, then then follow your route over Gobernuisgach Lodge and West Merkland track then follow your Loch Shin-Glen Cassley track route to Rosehall

I know someone who has done this and it is rideable apart from the bit by the loch that you need to push. Having done the A9 a number of times I would try the alternative!

Top Bottom