Advice sought - Have you heard of the Exmoor Beast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasawing

Hello all!

I'm a bit new to the world of 'serious' cycling - but I'm getting something of a baptism of fire. For starters, there are so many forums! Which are the good 'uns (or ones to avoid?) I'm here coz I liked the tone of those threads I've read so far. Anyway, what I'm looking for is some views and advice on The Exmoor Beast - www.exmoorbeast.org . My friend's participating and has suggested I come along too. I'm fit and up for a 'proper' challenge and a step up into the world of Big Boys (and Girls) sportives. Anyone on here done it before or is planning to this year? Any observations or advice for a relative tender-foot like moi?

NaSa. W

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Hello Nasawing! Haven't ridden this before, but know someone who rode last year...they're used to the hills in Devon, but due to appalling weather conditions they opted to ride the 100k on the day instead of the 100 miles. He described it as "challenging" but got round ok.

The FAQs are helpful - Exmoor's weather conditions can change quickly and can make for hard going, and the roads can be a bit dodgy (slippery/gravelly) when it's raining. It's bleak in bad weather and has some pretty pointy climbs! My main question would be...how comfortable are you going up long climbs and coming back down them again...and again...and again!?

Lance Substrong

Welcome to the insanity of sportive riding Naswing; it doesn't get much nuttier than The Beast which is, at the same time, massively rewarding. lf, as you describe yourself, you are a "relative tender-foot" who is "fit and up for a 'proper' challenge", this is my advice:-
  1. Enter the full distance, but be prepared to accept being directed onto the shorter route, if you fail to meet the first control cut-off time or need the bail-out option where the routes split
  2. Make every effort to be in the first few dozen riders to start; this will give you the maximum amount of time to beat the 11.00a.m. cut-off for leaving the first control.
  3. Dress for the conditions. In 2007 it was so warm and sunny I wore my summer kit.
  4. Carry enough food and drink to get you to the first feed at 35 miles and then replenish your stocks.
  5. If you're expecting not to walk up any of the hills, make sure your ratios are appropriate to your strength. Better to have a gear you don't need to use than trying to change down to one you haven't got.
To even think about doing the full route you should, with a month to go, have built up to being comfortable riding 80 miles, over demanding terrain, at close to 14mph. With a couple of 15 min feed stops on the day, this would put you in the bronze standard bracket.

Good luck

OP
OP
N

Nasawing

Welcome to the insanity of sportive riding Naswing; it doesn't get much nuttier than The Beast which is, at the same time, massively rewarding. lf, as you describe yourself, you are a "relative tender-foot" who is "fit and up for a 'proper' challenge", this is my advice:-
  1. Enter the full distance, but be prepared to accept being directed onto the shorter route, if you fail to meet the first control cut-off time or need the bail-out option where the routes split
  2. Make every effort to be in the first few dozen riders to start; this will give you the maximum amount of time to beat the 11.00a.m. cut-off for leaving the first control.
  3. Dress for the conditions. In 2007 it was so warm and sunny I wore my summer kit.
  4. Carry enough food and drink to get you to the first feed at 35 miles and then replenish your stocks.
  5. If you're expecting not to walk up any of the hills, make sure your ratios are appropriate to your strength. Better to have a gear you don't need to use than trying to change down to one you haven't got.
To even think about doing the full route you should, with a month to go, have built up to being comfortable riding 80 miles, over demanding terrain, at close to 14mph. With a couple of 15 min feed stops on the day, this would put you in the bronze standard bracket.

Good luck

Cheers Lance! I really apreciate the input. I'm regularly doing 50 milers at the moment - but including some pretty steep climbs (already there with some lower ratios!). Guess I need to tackle some longer routes to up my stamina in the next couple of months. I hear that the course starts and ends at a Butlins - does that mean I can bring the missus and the kids along to watch Dad in his moment of sweaty glory?! (They've said that they've wanted to go see some other events that my mates have participated in - but hanging around on a verge somewhere for hours has never seemed ideal!)

vorsprung

Veteran
Hello all!

I'm a bit new to the world of 'serious' cycling - but I'm getting something of a baptism of fire. For starters, there are so many forums! Which are the good 'uns (or ones to avoid?) I'm here coz I liked the tone of those threads I've read so far. Anyway, what I'm looking for is some views and advice on The Exmoor Beast - www.exmoorbeast.org . My friend's participating and has suggested I come along too. I'm fit and up for a 'proper' challenge and a step up into the world of Big Boys (and Girls) sportives. Anyone on here done it before or is planning to this year? Any observations or advice for a relative tender-foot like moi?

NaSa. W

Last year this event from Minehead was a bit of a pigs ear
There were I believe over 1000 entries
On the day the weather was very very bad. The organisers cancelled the 100 mile version, although the shorter route still ran

If you live in the west country then the Dartmoor Devil 100km Audax is

1) A beautiful and more challenging route
2) In it's eighteenth year of running as an event and not some recent money making scam
3) Cheaper to enter, although the entry price isn't the main cost with these things anyway
4) Never cancelled due to poor weather
5) A smaller and more intimate event, typically 150 entries with two start times

OP
OP
N

Nasawing

The Devil sounds great too, though I'm sticking with the Beast for my start, simply based on all of the positive things I've heard about it - plus the fact that one of my mates has done it before contantly raves about it! Oh, that and the fact that it starts and finishes at a Butlins - somewhere for my family to wave me off from / cheer me back in!

18 years for the Devil is impressive - but four years for the Beast hardly makes it new-fangled either, does it?

As for the weather - well, nobody can control that. And as for the 'more challenging' claim? I guess thats largely subjective. I know from the other sports I've tried that people can become very partisan about the events that they've ridden before and see as 'theirs', but from everything I've read, The Beast is very much considered one of the most challenging. Who knows, maybe next year I'll do the Devil so I can compare.

Until then, sounds like I've got lots of training to do!

Lance Substrong

Last year this event from Minehead was a bit of a pigs ear
There were I believe over 1000 entries
On the day the weather was very very bad. The organisers cancelled the 100 mile version, although the shorter route still ran

If you live in the west country then the Dartmoor Devil 100km Audax is

1) A beautiful and more challenging route
2) In it's eighteenth year of running as an event and not some recent money making scam
3) Cheaper to enter, although the entry price isn't the main cost with these things anyway
4) Never cancelled due to poor weather
5) A smaller and more intimate event, typically 150 entries with two start times

Vorsprung's points, above, compare the advantages of the Dartmoor Devil over the Exmoor Beast. At point 2) the implication is that the newer event is a moneymaking scam. Where money is concerned, scam is defined as a swindle or fraud. So slighted, a person may consider the statement (at 2) as libellous.

There is nothing wrong with running a sportive for gain, providing that it is priced at what the customer considers to be resonable. Given that The Beast's numbers have increased from less than 600 to 1700 in just 3 years, then clearly people are happy with what it offers. Personally, I think it's good value for money. An organisation which provides plenty of food, excellent facillities, high quality time-band certificates, electronic timing, durable bike numbers, paramedic teams, mechanical back-up, recovery vehicles and very acceptable momentos, such as The Beast does, is not cutting corners so they can return the maximum profit. In light of this, Vorsprung may like to retract the moneymaking scam staement.

In regard to point 4), The Beast has also never been cancelled due to poor weather. The conditions were not simply poor last year, they were horrendous - gale force winds and torrential rain. Excercising their duty of care and in the interests of rider safety, the organisers chose to switch all of their resources on to the 100k route which, after the ride, the vast majority agreed was the right choice.

marcw

I've also signed up with a friend. Have done a couple of sportive type events this year both around 70 miles. I'll be doing it on my new bike so will soon find out if the Alfine's range is wide enough. Aside from the sportives the only riding I do is a 11 mile commute to work and back. I didn't have any problems on the first two and fared better than friends who only do spinning sessions and the odd ride. Do you ride much or are you fit from doing other things?

OP
OP
N

Nasawing

I've also signed up with a friend. Have done a couple of sportive type events this year both around 70 miles. I'll be doing it on my new bike so will soon find out if the Alfine's range is wide enough. Aside from the sportives the only riding I do is a 11 mile commute to work and back. I didn't have any problems on the first two and fared better than friends who only do spinning sessions and the odd ride. Do you ride much or are you fit from doing other things?

Cheers Marc - thats really encouraging. Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty fit (hopefully!) I'm not exactly the right build to mix it with the serious cyclists - much too short and stocky, BUT I try to put in a good 25 miler every weekend, and I play three hours of badminton each week and put in at least another ten miles cycling about visiting mates etc. As my first 'proper' go, I'm going to take it easy. If I can finish amongst the top two thirds, I'll be a happy chappy :biggrin:

Living in the area, and having done many sportive type rides over past 20 years, would certainly encourage you to have a go. The hills certainly make it a challenge, and has been noted above, the weather can play a huge factor (any climb, no matter how long/steep, will eventually level out, however a cruel cross or headwind can last hours :angry: ). All I would say, is get plenty of miles in beforehand, a base fitness from other sport(s) is great, but you do need some miles in your legs (and bum!)...and ensure you eat well both in the days beforehand and on the road (and stay hydrated) Enjoy :biggrin:

marcw

if you've got a computer on your bike try and take note of what average speed you are comfortable at over your 25 mile ride. It's tempting to draft a faster group and then end up knackered after 50 miles.

Lance Substrong

More encouraging news for newbie Nasawing - the originator of this thread - he or she will have loads of company on 'The Beast' sportive. Looks like names are now being added to the rider list at a fairly brisk rate. With over 900 places already filled - and over 5 weeks still to go - it looks like it's going to be a massive event again. The mid term weather forecast is also looking encouraging and I'm getting quite excited about the prospect of an event P.B. at the end of next month.

OP
OP
N

Nasawing

More encouraging news for newbie Nasawing - the originator of this thread - he or she will have loads of company on 'The Beast' sportive. Looks like names are now being added to the rider list at a fairly brisk rate. With over 900 places already filled - and over 5 weeks still to go - it looks like it's going to be a massive event again. The mid term weather forecast is also looking encouraging and I'm getting quite excited about the prospect of an event P.B. at the end of next month.

Blimey! Its taking off big time eh? I've received one of their 'Chronicle' newsletter jobbies, so I'm expecting to be kept up to date with all their latest news.

Toshiba Boy - I'm really interested in what you say about dealing with head/cross winds. My part of the world is low lying and hedge-lined, so I'm guessing that I've literally lead something of a 'sheltered' life up until now! Any special tips on dealing with them? A strong headwind I guess is just a slog, but the idea of a crosswind sounds much more challenging. How do you handle that? (especially if its blustery!??)

OP
OP
N

Nasawing

So, any other takers? Their website says over 1100 registrants. That must include some of you here... Any names in case I bump into you on the course?

Top Bottom