Advice to a complete beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
My sister in law (55) announced she is buying a bike from Halfords. Deal is done, so no comments there. It actually looks fine for what she wants. Apollo hybrid (non sus luckily), 18 speed gears.(so no replies saying she should have bought steel......) Idea is short local rides on tarmac. Nervous about busy roads..Doing it for general fitness not to do any events.

I suspect that 2-3 miles will be her starting point. And I might be wrong but suspect that 10 miles will be her maximum unless she really falls in love with it. Fire away for any comments on how to build up the distance and general newbie tips. Once we have a few I will send her the link and let her soak up your pearls of wisdom

MikeG

Guru
There is no way of building the distance other than building the distance. The first few weeks of riding will feel difficult and unrewarding, and her bum will hurt. Little and often is the advice. Little and often. Get through that, and at 55 the world is her oyster. 55 year olds can set world records. Age is not an issue.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I think you have already summed it up - short local rides on tarmac, avoid busy roads, take it easy and build up the mileage. Look for relatively flat routes, canal tow paths, old railway lines etc are a great starting point. Hills tend to take away the fun until fitness improves. Remember to have fun. Why would 10 miles be her maximum ? Don't start off with limits on her abilities, just roll with it and see how it develops over the months.

If you are cycling with her I would advise you to cycle little behind and out into the road, to persuade out 4 wheeled friends to give you a wide pass.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I live near a couple of small hills, so I soon incorporated those into my short beginning rides. I started at about three miles and soon progressed to seven or ten, although this year I haven't gone much past that, I have a few metric centuries under my belt, as well as some longer rides. I just have a lot on my plate this year. Keep it fun and relaxing, and build distance in little steps. Gradual is best here.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is there any scope for making some of her rides functional? I mean things like using a trip to get something from the shops, or visit a friend. That kind of thing will help her focus more on the purpose, and less on the distance or any effort. Once she appreciates the utility of a bike she should get more out of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister in law (55) announced she is buying a bike from Halfords. Deal is done, so no comments there. It actually looks fine for what she wants. Apollo hybrid (non sus luckily), 18 speed gears.(so no replies saying she should have bought steel......) Idea is short local rides on tarmac. Nervous about busy roads..Doing it for general fitness not to do any events.

I suspect that 2-3 miles will be her starting point. And I might be wrong but suspect that 10 miles will be her maximum unless she really falls in love with it. Fire away for any comments on how to build up the distance and general newbie tips. Once we have a few I will send her the link and let her soak up your pearls of wisdom
She may be able to greatly exceed your expectations! A friend of mine certainly surprised me yesterday ...She is a non-cyclist about the same age as your sister-in-law. She does do a fair amount of walking on the hills round here so she has walking fitness, but not cycling-specific fitness. Her bike is a steel non-suspension MTB with 24 gears and slick tyres.

My pal is going to ride a 100+ mile extended version of the [Morecambe] Bay Way with me in August so we thought that she had better start riding now to prepare herself for our 5 day holiday, which will involve averaging 20+ miles per day with a few significant hills on the route.

We set out on our first test ride yesterday ... To my surprise, she managed to ride 26 miles, with 1,600 ft of climbing! She did walk some of the steeper climbs, we didn't ride quickly, and we took lots of breaks, but still - it goes to show that people can often do more than you (or they?) think that they can!

I agree with Liz about large vehicles. My friend was very intimidated by a couple of HGVs on a busy road, coming up to some traffic lights.

As for fixing a puncture ... I suspect that could well be a problem. Even if she had known what to do, having a spare tube PLUS a puncture kit PLUS tyre levers wouldn't have helped because she was MINUS a pump! :laugh:

My pal took some persuading to use her full range of gears. I could see that she was sticking almost exclusively to the middle ring, even when she was struggling to climb. In the end though she changed to the little ring and was doing pretty well with it.

She also surprised me by asking me to raise her saddle. I find that beginners generally think that they should be pretty much able to sit on the saddle with their feet touching the ground and it worries them to have it higher. I had noticed that the saddle was a bit low but I thought I would wait and see how she got on before suggesting changes. Once she had done a few miles she said it felt too low so I raised it by about 1 cm. She was amazed at how much difference that made.

She was riding with flat pedals and walking boots. She definitely does NOT want to wear cycling shoes and use clipless pedals.

I suspect that her legs might be a bit stiff and sore today. Her neck and shoulders were feeling the strain towards the end of the ride so some further adjustment of her riding position might be needed. I texted her a while ago to ask how she feels today but she hasn't replied yet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there any scope for making some of her rides functional? I mean things like using a trip to get something from the shops, or visit a friend. That kind of thing will help her focus more on the purpose, and less on the distance or any effort. Once she appreciates the utility of a bike she should get more out of it.
Cafés! :hyper:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All of the above are great ideas.

I'd also look for social cycling groups nearby (web searches, facebook, let's ride, meetup, BBC Get Inspired or various other more or less surprising sites) and whether the local council offers Bikeability training or someone else does. Maybe not for the start, but if she's getting on OK and wants to go further or get rid of you (in the nicest possible way) ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I suspect that 2-3 miles will be her starting point. And I might be wrong but suspect that 10 miles will be her maximum unless she really falls in love with it.
Erm ... I did 68 miles on a heavy, front suspension, hybrid, previous maximum was 5 miles in one go.
That was a few years ago, when I was 50.
I'm not fit either, nor sporty: only did it to visit a friend ^_^

A totally different bit of advice - I learnt this one the hard way last autumn and it was a totally grim experience. :cry:

Wear (above the waist at least) clothing that wicks away sweat. There's nothing worse than riding someplace and having to endure sitting around in a soggy, sweaty t-shirt that is rapidly getting colder and more claggy by the minute. In my case it was a morning commute...

If she's got nothing suitable in her wardrobe, a cheap running top should suffice for now, with a fleece thrown over that when the weather's cooler.

Top Bottom