Advise after Accident needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

locker

When I broke my clavicle in an RTC it took the Police 40 minutes to attend the scene.

It must have been murder (sorry Gaz I couldn`t help that) Glad you`re back to normal as such
hyper.gif
thebiggrin.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I was knocked off nearly 3 years ago on a roundabout, I didn't call the police. Driver was fine (more shock than me) I got up, bike was OK (MTB don't pick on an MTB), I was a bit knocked up.

Phoned driver to say I'd made it home, phoned police who confirmed it wasn't necessary to report, but I could pop into a station, which I did and it was just logged. Both parties played ball. That said it's 3 years and ongoing, driver fault admitted straight away, but long term injuries are a big problem, despite walking (cycling) away from the accident.

To the OP get yourself checked out by your GP (record on file) - mine sent me straight for xrays. Pay attention to any joint problems - shoulders, elbow and hips.

Take bike to LBS for quote - driver might have heart attack when bill lands. Hopefully damage will get covered by his insurers. If there is injury, then you need a solicitor.

See if home insurance has legal advice cover (if needed). If you haven't got CTC or BC insurance, then it's time to think about it if you cycle regular (also provides third party cover if you hit someone/something - wing mirrors aren't cheap).

apollo179

I take it you have never rung the police before, they generally aren't going to keep you on the line with an RTC, they will get the information off you that are required and then be done. No need to talk about the weather etc.. that is what the responding police units will do.

No never rung the police - ive a predisposition not to although since mathewts white vanman incident and him being so sympathetically dealt with by the wpc over that i might be more inclined to in the future .
Point is that you are not sure to get attended by a responding unit.

apollo179

If you specify no injury, as it's aggravated anyway by car v bike, they'd send someone IF someone was available - and that does tend to be a big IF nowadays. If they can't find anyone they'll either ask you to come in, make an appointment over the phone, or take details over the phone dependant on policy.

All of the above is in the given example of a non injury RTC where the Road Traffic Act has been complied with by all parties.

If you ring and report an injury RTC, they will find a unit from somewhere to attend you and can't just take details, unless there are some really extenuating circumstances (other units tied up with jobs they really can't leave, robberies, murders etc)

Thanks for clarifying.
It might be worth playing it up a bit then if you really wanted the police to attend cos otherwise seems like there a fair chance they wont.
Like i said before only in circumstances where theres substantial damages to person or property as we dont want to waste the polices time.
Say a car had wrecked your new £2000 bike with no other witnesses than road markings etc it would be in your interests to get the police out then to establish blame otherwise youd be fighting against the tide.

dawesome

I would definitely report that. The driver now has the impression that cash solves all bad behaviour on the roads. Reporting it means it's logged so the true casualty rate of cyclist RTCs is properly recorded. Reporting it leaves the driver open to sanctions other than losing a few quid. Reporting it means any police action will add considerable weight to any insurance claim. Reporting it means that dangerous junctions may be reviewed. Most importantly, cyclists need insurance companies on side. If the major insurers realise that idiotic driving is causing injuries and damage that causes payouts then pressure will grow to make changes that protect vulnerable road users. Without reporting this, obviously, nobody knows it happened.

Top Bottom