Advise and recommendations for a rucksack for commute, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im a regular cycle commuter to work at around 220miles a month.

At the moment I have a standard rucksack and have an worn out respro hump rucksack cover.

I would like to get a new rucksack that is a bit more light weight than the one I am using.

So, could you help me track down a suitable rucksack please.

My main requirement is that needs to be yellow. Reflective not that big an issue as I can add these at a later date. (I work nights btw)

Would be good if water proof but I can always put a waterproof liner inside if required.

Well that about it, I would be most grateful if you could help me out as I can't seem to find one suitable. Lots of great bags but none that are yellow.

Thanks

Alcdrew

Well it yellow, other than that not sure if it'll be any good for you. Hi vis bag

Personaly I don't like backpacks. I can't stand the sweaty back they give you. Have you thought of going for a rack instead?

alfablue

I would prefer the rear rack also, but Ortlieb do a bike friendly backpack, the Flight. It is fully waterproof, and comes in 22 or 27 litre versions. It comes in "Mustard" (not that bright yellow, but to be honest, at night reflective stuff is much more important than colour). It's pricy but it looks like it is the dogs'.
7484.jpg

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Lardyboy said:
I've been using one of these for the last 18 months with no problems. Quite light and plenty of room for everything. It's got a waterproof cover, which is important with the summer we've had so far.:sad:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/Product...ID/182/v/7b9b8b46-d95e-4e9d-b049-98dec13cb22e

I believe that Edinburgh Bike Co-op do their own version £10 cheaper, but got that info too late to buy mine.

Do you mean this one, Revolution Stow Sport or the Deuter Cross Bike Rucsac?

Personally, having ridden with a rucksack for years, the first time I tried panniers I knew I would never commute with a rucksack again.;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just got a Quechua Forclaz air 25 from Decathlon -

Added benefit of air cooling for the back. Mine is loaded up with a days clothes, big u lock, food, puncture kit etc - still very comfortable despite the significant weight of all the carp in it. The underside of the pack sits on thick pads which lift the surface away from your back. It's also has a solid underside that protects your back from any uncomfortable loads.

Commuting 20 miles a day with it. Got the red one ! See Below.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...k/light-hiking-bp/product_8029005/index.html#

Tynan

Veteran
never ever considered a rucksack, silly imho

handlebar bag for most of it (all to hand if needed) and a rack gives stacks of options, tools and puncture kit under the seat

Rucksacks are good. I went back to mine from panniers because I didn't like the pendulum effect they had on the back of the bike. Mine is just a cheap day sack from Milletts and it's done me fine for the last five years. The Edinburgh/Vaude ones look good though. Sprung frames iirc to avoid the sweaty back problem (an overrated problem as far as I'm concerned).

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I use a Regatta X-ERT 20-25 Litre rucksack brought from a local "outdoors" type store, cost £26. It has an air stream back frame (which actually works !), 3 pockets, 1 in lid, 2 at side, a pull out mesh for your helmet (or wet socks !) and its own little anorak in the lid. More than adequate for me.
Don't be confused with the reflective trim though, it's a mini triangle shape on the back !
I'd post a picture if I could figure it out.
Would someone who knows how to post pictures on here please e-mail the details via my profile so I can save it. Pretty, Pretty PLEASE !

skwerl

I have a Deuter Cross air that is pretty good at minimising sweat and has a yellow rain cover. Good bag. Bit pricey though (about 60 quid I think)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Elmer Fudd said:
I use a Regatta X-ERT 20-25 Litre rucksack brought from a local "outdoors" type store, cost £26. It has an air stream back frame (which actually works !), 3 pockets, 1 in lid, 2 at side, a pull out mesh for your helmet (or wet socks !) and its own little anorak in the lid. More than adequate for me.
Don't be confused with the reflective trim though, it's a mini triangle shape on the back !
I'd post a picture if I could figure it out.
Would someone who knows how to post pictures on here please e-mail the details via my profile so I can save it. Pretty, Pretty PLEASE !

You need a place to host the pictures on-line i.e. flickr (it is free to sign up) the put in a link to it using the Insert Image button above (if you are using advanced reply option). Or attach the file using the attach button (the one with the paper clip).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Berghaus Freeflow III 30+10 - very comfortable when riding, even when fully-loaded. An air-flow back that has a huge space between your back and the bag, and hydration-bladder compatible (which is handy when my bottle cage is being used for the AirZound bottle in summer, and in winter for my Electron bottle-battery !). Comes with a silver-coloured rain cover in a pocket on the top flap.

This is the new version of the one I bought last year - mine has two 'lid' catches rather than a single, central one.

Deuter air something 22L, had it about 4 years constant use, stick it in the wash once a year and its like new. Originally had a frame to allow air onto my back, it got taken off once and I have never replaced it.

Walking/mtb cycling its been superb, 8/10 recomended.

Top Bottom