Advise for a Hybrid in the 300-500 price range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Going back to the origin of the thread, anybody had experience with the Boardman HYB 8.6 2023? It is slightly lighter than the FX 2 disk and much cheaper, with a £100 gap or so

Well spotted. It looks like a great bike for the price and eminently suitable for a 10km commute.

srj10

Guru
Can recommend the Lithium 3 as I have owned one for the last 3/4 years. I was looking for a bike that could cope with commuting duties and light off road use whenever possible and to that end this bike will deliver both easily. I switched the tyres to landcruisers and apart from chain wear the bike has only needed light maintenance. This year I am thinking of putting on proper MTB tyres and and trying it on some tougher tracks.

Velochris

Über Member
See my post last Sunday at 08:45 pointing out the Lithium.

Clear you want a new bike and that is fair enough. Out of all of them that looks the best in terms of price and spec. Have a look and if you like it go for it before they sell out.

Had a Lithium myself for a few years. Bought second hand and sold on for the same price.

8mph

Veteran
Can recommend the Lithium 3 as I have owned one for the last 3/4 years. I was looking for a bike that could cope with commuting duties and light off road use whenever possible and to that end this bike will deliver both easily. I switched the tyres to landcruisers and apart from chain wear the bike has only needed light maintenance. This year I am thinking of putting on proper MTB tyres and and trying it on some tougher tracks.

I'm a fan of the Lithium. Easily adapted for touring, good tyre clearance, and good geometry for a bit of off road.

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the very reasonable advice I collected in the discussion, I readjusted my spending goal according to the various possible prospects. It ended up that thanks to the munificence of a seller, I got an almost-new (even pedals are mint) Pinnacle Lithium 3 at £220 + gold-level lock and mudguards included. My house policy covers bike theft/damage up to £350 with a £100, so I guess that's ok?

Happy ride everybody!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-01 at 18.34.15.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-01 at 18.34.15.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 10

Velochris

Über Member
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the very reasonable advice I collected in the discussion, I readjusted my spending goal according to the various possible prospects. It ended up that thanks to the munificence of a seller, I got an almost-new (even pedals are mint) Pinnacle Lithium 3 at £220 + gold-level lock and mudguards included. My house policy covers bike theft/damage up to £350 with a £100, so I guess that's ok?

Happy ride everybody!

A great find and a bargain.

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Thanks! Any recommended upgrade for the near future? This is my first mid-lever bike with hydraulic brakes (the previous ones either did not carry a name or had exotic combinations such as "professional tourist").

Also a question which more of a curiosity: how many times shall I expect the chain to fall? It was quite regular on my £50 used bikes, but I hope at this level it will be more of an exception.

8mph

Veteran
Hi guys,

Happy ride everybody!

Nicely done!

Jameshow

Veteran
Thanks! Any recommended upgrade for the near future? This is my first mid-lever bike with hydraulic brakes (the previous ones either did not carry a name or had exotic combinations such as "professional tourist").

Also a question which more of a curiosity: how many times shall I expect the chain to fall? It was quite regular on my £50 used bikes, but I hope at this level it will be more of an exception.

Tyres and saddle imho. Both make a big difference to the ride for obvs reasons

Velochris

Über Member

Chain to fall as in coming off the front chain rings? If adjusted correctly it really should not, though odd extreme flips from certain gear combinations can throw it.

If in particular you mean falling off the smallest ring at the front have a look for a Dead Dog Fang. Simple and cheap, you will need one sizes to the same diameter as your seat tube.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nice one, especially with that lock thrown in. As long as it's hardly been used, the chain should be OK for some time as long as you clean and lubriate it regularly (or after a wet ride) as they only fail/skip when not worn or not cared for.

Good catch! Enjoy the bike.

Regular maintenance is the key to component longevity - largely keeping the drivetrain clean and greased. Mud and water in the winter and dust in the summer are the culprits.

If it's the chain getting thrown, then it's largely down to two things. One is using weird gear combos like small chainring on the front and small sprocket on the rear, which bike drivetrains generally don't like, and the other is the limit screws on the derailleurs not being set up correctly, and them moving the chain too far as a result. The first is prevented by being mindful, while the second shouldn't be a problem on what is a very lightly-used bike.

This place is a great source of info when it comes to DIY bike maintenance, BTW. It never hurts to learn the basics, and hopefully it'll prevent a long, cold and wet walk home...

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Chain to fall as in coming off the front chain rings? If adjusted correctly it really should not, though odd extreme flips from certain gear combinations can throw it.

If in particular you mean falling off the smallest ring at the front have a look for a Dead Dog Fang. Simple and cheap, you will need one sizes to the same diameter as your seat tube.

Excellent, good to know

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Good catch! Enjoy the bike.

Regular maintenance is the key to component longevity - largely keeping the drivetrain clean and greased. Mud and water in the winter and dust in the summer are the culprits.

If it's the chain getting thrown, then it's largely down to two things. One is using weird gear combos like small chainring on the front and small sprocket on the rear, which bike drivetrains generally don't like, and the other is the limit screws on the derailleurs not being set up correctly, and them moving the chain too far as a result. The first is prevented by being mindful, while the second shouldn't be a problem on what is a very lightly-used bike.

This place is a great source of info when it comes to DIY bike maintenance, BTW. It never hurts to learn the basics, and hopefully it'll prevent a long, cold and wet walk home...

Well said! Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom