Advise for already bought bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greetings,
Iam writing this query to request help and advice from fellow cycling enthusiasts. I bought this cycle( Avon orbita) from local shop and as I was eager to buy a cycle. After buying I researched a bit and now I am in major doubt. Cycle is dual disk brake, front suspension, 21speed, 26t tyre size and frame of 17 inches. I am 175 cms long and now majorly confused if I bought a small bike. With seat fully extended all the way to min insertion point the effective distance between peddle crank middle and top of seat becomes 21 inches. Is it right height for me riding it, I don't wana put strain on my knees or ride wrong.

Also I was checking through disk brakes and this is my first time with disk brakes on cycle hence a bit confused. I feel the wheels aren't turning that freely and also I hear very light friction noise from front wheel. I noticed that both disk as very close to one side of pad or even sticking by the way it looks. I don't know what should I do about it, I have bought some tools but wanted to take advise before doing anything.
I have attached pics below as link and will be great if you guys can advise.
Thanks

MOD EDIT - photos and dating site ads removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharky

Guru
From the photos, it does look like it's too small for you.
Can you post a photo with you sitting on the bike and the whole bike shown?

You can buy much longer seat posts and get the saddle height right, but the handle bars will probably be too low or too close and different stems may not resolve.

Is it too late to go back to the shop?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah I would say to small as well,as far as the brakes go I assume they are cable rather than hydraulic? If so there should be a dial toucan turn o the inside of the brake caliper to move the inner Pas away from the disc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If that picture of you sitting on the bike is with the seat post at its most extended it's too small for you. You need a size up. Get the shop to swap them over for you.
Which country are you in?

vickster

Legendary Member
If in the U.K. and bought online, under distance selling regs you should be able to return and exchange an unused bike for a larger size/refund (you may have to pay return postage and/or a restocking fee depending on the Ts & C’s you agreed to at purchase)
If not in the U.K. you’ll need to check local regs

To size a bike you should sit on the saddle, extend your leg straight and your heel should engage the pedal. When you move your foot so the ball engages the pedal you will have enough flex in your knee for safety and efficiency. The seatpost has a Max Extension mark that should not be exceeded.
If you are between frame sizes then pick according to length. There is no real rule here but make sure you are not hunched up or overly stretched and you have bent elbows.

Disk brakes have a pad each side of the disk. One side is moved by the cable and you set the pad distance by adjusting the cable ( they stretch at first). The fixed pad is adjustable by a bolt or screw that can be tricky to reach through the wheel spokes. It should run as close as possible without touching.

Disk brakes work best when bedded in using friction heat from very heavy braking eg on a hill.
Make sure the bike is safe and operational. Find a hill. Ride fast. Brake hard several times. Repeat 2 or 3 times. The disk will be burning hot. Dont touch it. Dont touch it anyway, you need to keep the surface free of oil, grease and other contaminating stuff.

OP
OP
K
Hi everyone,
I am really thankful to all for advising me, I am clear on part of disk brake what to do but now have to know if bike is too small for me. I am attaching some pics below which I took and apologize if it isn't taken properly. With seat fully extended I have issues keeping toes on floor, while seated I just barely balance myself while standing on toes, I have taken pics with paddle in diff position and also me standing while seated or while hovering over frame. I will be greatful to you all if you guys can give an idea if it will work fine for me or should I think about selling it off as there is no return or exchange policies and I have tried selling it but loosing some money on it. Still it's my fault that I bought a cycle in haywire but I would like to know all that can be done. Also would like to mention that I have slightly extended the bar of handel which attached it to the frame.
Thanks alot

MOD EDIT - more photos and dating site ads gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K
Greetings,
My bad I wasn't familiar with the hosting site and didn't know they were posting things in background.
I am posting pics with the inbuilt attachment uploader.
Thank you guys for helping me out as I was concerned if I have got the wrong thing, I really appreciate all of you helping me out and attaching
the pics which i posted via link.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah still looks to low to me,as far as touching the floor I have to get off the saddle and stand astride the top tube when my saddle is the right height.

Sharky

Guru
As I said above, your bike looks OK. I would agree with the others that the saddle is a bit on the low side, but it very much depends on how confident you are on the roads. If it gives you confidence to be able to touch the road and remain seated, then do so. When you get more experience and are doing longer rides, it is more efficient to have the saddle raised to the heights others have advised. When the time comes, just buy a longer seat post and raise the saddle gradually.

Good luck and keep safe.

Top Bottom