Advise for already bought bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is that with the seat post at its fullest extent? If it is as I said previously the bike is too small. When seated you leg should be more or less straight with the pedal at six o'clock (your pic 1). You can of course ride the bike as you have it but you won't be able to get the best power transfer and some complain of knee pain riding in that position long term. With a dropped top tube like that you should find it very easy to slide forward and plant your feet when coming to a halt.
The other consequence of having a frame too small is having the bars too close although that can be sorted with a longer stem if you're not comfortable with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K
Thanks a lot, this really helped me in understanding and also as advised by you all I was able to resolve the disk making noise issue.
thank you guys😊

OP
OP
K
I will try to find a big seat post so that on long run it doesn’t my knees, I understand if I am able get bigger seat post it should workout fine.
Thanks a lot without you guys I couldn’t figure it out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will try to find a big seat post so that on long run it doesn’t my knees, I understand if I am able get bigger seat post it should workout fine.
Thanks a lot without you guys I couldn’t figure it out.
you need to find the right width and length , best thing to do is mark you current seat height with a bit of tape etc around the post then take the post out and see wha size it is , popular sizes are 27.2 and 31.6 tbh not sure if length is listed too but you can always measure it :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
saddle also looks to far forward , a rule of thumb is knee over the middle of the pedal as a start, i copied the piccie and the line of your knee is well forward of the pedal line, moving the saddle back will also increase effective saddle height
1603387971869.png

Drago

Legendary Member
It looks a touch to small to my eye. You need to see if the shop is willing to exchange it for the next size up, or have some surgery to reduce your legs length.

OP
OP
K
Wow, thanks, Cool now I know all the things I need to take care of, Well exchange is not possible so will end up selling it with a loss, I will try to move the saddle also buy a bigger seat post to correct it or just sell it which ever happens first. Now I have an idea about buying a bike and how to measure. Really thankful to all

@cyberknight things are clearer now with you pic illustration. Thanks alot

@Drago thanks, I don’t thing surgery is great idea he hhehehe, will try to sell it or correct it somehow

united4ever

Über Member
Hindsight is wonderful etc but going to a bricks and mortar shop and having a test ride is such a good move. I know the price can be higher than online, but they may price match or you could even do the morally dubious buying identical bike online having test ridden one at the shop. You can also narrow it down and test ride 2 or 3 on your short list if in stock. It's the only way to know for sure if you like it.

OP
OP
K
Hi everyone,
I ended up selling the bike as found right buyer, faced some loss but fine with it.
Now again I am on hunt for a new bike and this time want to be sure to get the right one, I will keep all the points mentioned by you all in my mind for sure but still if anyone can give any extra points to be remembered while buying mob I will be grateful. I am 175 cm long guy and looking for daily fun riding.
Thank you all

wajc

Veteran
Lots of manufacturers will quote a recommended height range for any given frame size - this is where I'd start. If you're bang in the middle of the range it's a relatively easy decision. If you're at one end or the other it's quite possible that both frame sizes will 'fit' but then it comes down to personal preferences.

As an example of a bike in the style that looks similar to the one you had originally.

Trek Marlin 5

Scrolling down will give you a size chart - at 175cm you are well in the range for the M/L size category of 165cm to 179cm. You won't go far wrong based on this. Minor tweaks can be made to stem length etc if required.

They also have a questionaire which will ask about bike type, rider height and inside leg measurement to again give a recommended frame size.

Trek Size Finder

Other manufacturers will do similar - it's important to note that a medium Trek may not be the exact same size as a medium Giant etc so you need to look for the manfacturers specific information

More than likely saddle too low though don't raise it so high that your hips are rocking. Get someone to stand behind you and just check if you've no one what I've done is take a short video and all will be revealed Oh I see you've sold it beat of luck finding a new one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom