Advise on buying a electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tuggy

I am considering buying an electric bike for fun. I cycle to keep fit but have decided I need some fun now in life. I am in my 60 . Female and not muscle bond , but would like to be able to put the bike in the back of my 4x4 to explore different areas . As I do my other bike . I also like taking in the odd byway on my travels. My problem is I need the lightest bike available with front shock absorbers. So far the best one I have found is the volt coming in at 20 kg. I struggled to get this in my car so would prefer a lighter one. Is there any out there please.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ask the question on Pedalecs.com as well.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/

OP
OP
T

tuggy

[QUOTE 4896951, member: 259"]The lightest one I've seen is the Whyte Clifton, but it's still not light. Might be worth a look[/QUOTE]
I have just looked at this one and it comes in at 17.5 kg. but I don't think it has shocks which I would really like for byways.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can testify to that @Topfmine . I have fat electric specific tyres on my non electric bike and they're comfy.

If you want what will probably be the best electric bike wait for the Brompton. Its just about time land by all accounts. Its been a long time coming but they do tend to want to get things right. It should be light.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am considering buying an electric bike for fun. I cycle to keep fit but have decided I need some fun now in life. I am in my 60 . Female and not muscle bond , but would like to be able to put the bike in the back of my 4x4 to explore different areas . As I do my other bike . I also like taking in the odd byway on my travels. My problem is I need the lightest bike available with front shock absorbers. So far the best one I have found is the volt coming in at 20 kg. I struggled to get this in my car so would prefer a lighter one. Is there any out there please.

All ebikes are comparatively heavy, but you may be able to save a kilo or two over the Volt - only you will know if that would make a difference.

The budget option could be a GTech bike, they have no gears, a small battery, and smallish motor which makes them among the lightest of ebikes.

Downside is the motor is not particularly pokey, and the range is shorter than ebikes with a bigger battery.

The money-no-object solution would be one of the few ebikes that have a carbon frame, from about £5K upwards.

They have a decent sized battery and, in ebike terms, powerful motor.

Weight around 17kg.

Removing the battery for car loading would reduce that by 2-3kg.

http://www.gtech.co.uk/ebike.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJTrremr1QIVTS0ZCh3i4wDcEAAYASAAEgL0Q_D_BwE

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Moustache-Samedi-Trail-Limited-2017

Topfmine

The big question to ask apart from weight factor is how much will it cost to replace my battery when the power pack eventually dies a few years time or should I say less than 2 years. Are you held to ransom by a bike manufacturer who will charge you the price of a battery not that far out from the total cost of the bike when new, bearing in mind the bikes depreciation value or if the model or company will be still around in a few years time, can you replace batteries in your power pack with run of the mill cells and will the controller on the bike be universal with different amps of the same voltage. I am trying sort out changing from lead seal acid to lithium scratching my head, will future bikes be adaptable from changing to lifepo4 to the next generation, otherwise it's a trashed £1000-2000 bike in the bin because of a battery issue. That's why I think the future of E bike should form to a standard on the battery side with an adaptable electric system.

dodgy

Those issues mentioned by @Topmine is what's stopping me from investing in a premium ebike for commuting. You just know the battery won't be available at your local bike shop.

keithmac

Guru
I've done over 1000 miles on this, 16kg with no issues. Battery is £300 iirc?.

Carbon belt means virtually no maintenance.

They do a dropped/ step through frame as well.

2016-07-17 20.29.45.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The big question to ask apart from weight factor is how much will it cost to replace my battery when the power pack eventually dies a few years time or should I say less than 2 years. Are you held to ransom by a bike manufacturer who will charge you the price of a battery not that far out from the total cost of the bike when new, bearing in mind the bikes depreciation value or if the model or company will be still around in a few years time, can you replace batteries in your power pack with run of the mill cells and will the controller on the bike be universal with different amps of the same voltage. I am trying sort out changing from lead seal acid to lithium scratching my head, will future bikes be adaptable from changing to lifepo4 to the next generation, otherwise it's a trashed £1000-2000 bike in the bin because of a battery issue. That's why I think the future of E bike should form to a standard on the battery side with an adaptable electric system.

Battery life seems to vary.

My oldest Bosch battery is five years old, and is still performing as new as far as I can tell.

Inevitably, its performance will decline at some point.

Replacement cost is high, about £600.

Some Chinese batteries are half that, but from what I can gather they can lose significant capacity after two or three years.

OP
OP
T

tuggy

Thank you all for your help. I have looked up all suggested alternatives. But without spending 5k l still think the volt alpine is the best . Lightest and with shocks. I will look into the options of fatter tyres though as suggested. The other way of looking at it is to find an easier way of loading. I was thinking of a ramp. Or a bike rack on the tow bar. Any suggestions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I believe one of the Thule towbar racks has a ramp for easy loading of heavy/electric bikes.

Next point to be aware of is it seems electric bikes do not travel well in bad weather in the vortex which forms at the rear of a car with a bike on a rack.

I suspect problems occur hammering down the motorway for hour after hour in heavy rain.

Moderate speeds through a few rain showers shouldn't damage the bike.

Top Bottom