Aero bars and stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Question about the integrated stem .
How often have any of you moved the handle bars , if at all ? I have moved my stem up and down using the spacers but never rotated the bars .

screenman

Legendary Member
How often have any of you moved the handle bars , if at all ? I have moved my stem up and down using the spacers but never rotated the bars .

I used to think my bars were in the correct position, until that is I had a bike fit.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Not often, because I set them up to suit me when I install them, i.e. I adjust them to suit me, and they continue to suit me. If you buy something that doesn't suit and is not adjustable, it will continue not to suit you :tongue:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Link or pics ?

In my album I have pics of my Venge using a SL145 stem and Vukasprint V2 bars.. The stem has since been changed to a Zipp SL Sprint

standalone

The new stem is 10mm longer to help me get lower on the bike.

standalone

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Nice :becool:
I had a chat with the guys at Giant and i am stuck with having a Giant stem as it isn't standard 31.8 .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Are the Zipp bars measured o/o or c/c @Mr Haematocrit ? I'm told i should try 38cm , i have 40 cm on the bike right now . It may be wise to try cheaper bars for size first .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When I had my Retul bike fit they worked out my perfect bar width by using my shoulder dimensions.
Your body should dictate what bar width you use, not reccomendations

bike_fit1barwidth2.jpg
MeasuringRdCxBars.gif

The manager did put some 40 cm bars up to my chest and then Ninja poke me in the shoulders . This is Giant in Twickenham though , they suggest and recommend things rather than say you need this . Its a rather British thing :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive ordered some 380mm bars today to put on the TCR before I spend on the aero bars . I would rather spend £30 and give the new size a few miles before I spend a few hundred .
The zipp bars come in short and shallow or traditional . Any preference ?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My preference is Shallow drop as then I can really slam my stem and still reach the bars.
I fail to see the point of aero bars if your stuck up in the wind like a sail. (Slam the stem)
My new stem is 10mm longer than when this picture was taken and I'm already thinking of going longer to get a better position.

standalone

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Wouldn't slamming the stem depend on the bike geometry ? I have the bars about half way on the TCR but slammed on the Defy . The TCR's bars are a bar width lower already .
I will get the correct width bars set up first and do a few big rides , then start adjusting the stem height . Once I have that worked out I can decide what bars I want ?
Or just slam the stem and get the short ones ?

Top Bottom