Aero bars on club rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

viniga

Guru
FWIW I think using aerobars in a group ride is nuts. Having them installed because you use your clipons sometimes (TT or long solo rides) and can't be arsed taking them off... ok... but I bet you would be sorely tempted to use them when you were on the front in a chainy, which might be ok but how are you going to signal an obstacle coming up?

In a tight group you need to signal and have the best control possible. Good access to the brakes, yes but if this is a chain gang then no-one should be on the brakes when its flowing.

On the local club scene I mainly do individual TTs and my handling in the bars has improved. I've done one 2up on a flat course and there is a hilly 2up approaching. On the flat course 4 riders went down touching wheels and the race was abandoned! I'm a bit nervous about these...

OnTheRopes

Regular

alicat

Legendary Member
Is that clip for real? Does anyone have a rear-facing camera? It looks like the rider behind either wasn't paying attention or crashed on purpose?

OnTheRopes

Regular
Is that clip for real? Does anyone have a rear-facing camera? It looks like the rider behind either wasn't paying attention or crashed on purpose?
Is your comment for real? Does anyone have a rear facing camera? Ermm yes and lots of genuine clips like this out there of people. Inattentive? Most probably but a good demonstration of why riding in a group on tri bars is a bad idea

OnTheRopes

Regular
Yes, it was. I'm sorry I asked the question.
Fair enough, in that case, yes many people carry rear facing cameras perhaps the most popular being the Fly 6, commuters use them often for evidence and some use them to record group rides like in the clip, which to me seems genuine.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Not racing or even club rides, but Audax events allow them. Rather than for speed: In my case, they are purely for comfort, efficiency, pastie strapping options and as a convenient Bluetooth speaker mount for those long, lonely rides.

The exception is the Paris-Brest-Paris ride so I’ll have to wean myself off my sun lounger by 2023.

BD1CAB7C-AB45-4B09-AEA3-8A8C5CBFB4E1.jpeg
8C2A135E-40A9-4F57-8C08-D219C0857FBD.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not racing or even club rides, but Audax events allow them. Rather than for speed: In my case, they are purely for comfort, efficiency, pastie strapping options and as a convenient Bluetooth speaker mount for those long, lonely rides.

The exception is the Paris-Brest-Paris ride so I’ll have to wean myself off my sun lounger by 2023.

View attachment 445039 View attachment 445040

You can use the short stubby draft legal tri bars this time round. Must not extend beyond brake levers. So some hand relief on PBP is possible for upright riders.

“if you are the rider on the front then I do not see a problem.”
perhaps, maybe, but of course you never ride the front the entire ride and also being on the bars then it is harder to point out obstacles etc for those behind. Just ditch the trip bars if you ride in any group, easy fix.

Top Bottom