Aero bars on club rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
If I remember correctly those short stubby bars that were the fashion in the pro peloton we’re banned due to safety issues,Watch a pro TT When cornering change to the main bars presumably because it is difficult to control the bike going into bends.

TT bars are forTT not club runs

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
only pussies need tri bars anyroad

Tin Pot

Guru
If I remember correctly those short stubby bars that were the fashion in the pro peloton we’re banned due to safety issues,Watch a pro TT When cornering change to the main bars presumably because it is difficult to control the bike going into bends.

TT bars are forTT not club runs
False premise, false assertion

Tin Pot

Guru
only pussies need tri bars anyroad

There could be some truth in that...

Alistair Brownlee wind St George 70.3
alistair-brownlee-208636_original_1.jpg

Frodeno winning Kona
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1010%2Fr15790_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg

Froome winning everything

th?id=OIP.QyxCGMkHLASW0fSJ0vgg6gHaE8&pid=1.jpg

Yeah, pussies...

Not sure I understand this... going down on aerobars is not a good thing in a group of riders, if you are the rider on the front then I do not see a problem.

If this is about you are not allowed to ride in a group if you have them fitted (irrespective of them being used) - then yes that is a bit too nanny state for me.
You can't see the problem of not having direct access to the brakes riding just a few feet behind another rider and you can't see the problem when they crash and the poles potentially go into another rider :eek:

Tin Pot

Guru
You can't see the problem of not having direct access to the brakes riding just a few feet behind another rider and you can't see the problem when they crash and the poles potentially go into another rider :eek:

“if you are the rider on the front then I do not see a problem.”

“if you are the rider on the front then I do not see a problem.”

Doh, but it still stands IMHO not having direct access to the brakes is not a good thing regardless of where you are in a pack. You do get a good draft off a confident TTer though :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Anyway club secretary agreed and .has asked riders not to use them in group rides with the medical exemption for ex soldier with knackered arm.

Tin Pot

Guru
Do you or have you ever used tri bars?

Yes.

I would liken them to spdsl pedals. The first time someone gets a road bike and clips in, they feel totally off balance and a bit out of control, a months later they might feel completely comfortable.

Tri bars are similar - the first time I put on tri bars I fell off to disastrous consequences. Now I can take to the lanes at high speed without a loss of control. It’s about awareness, you sit up when you suspect someone may try to kill you.

Remember, no one in this thread is condoning being on bars in a peloton unless you are at the front.

velo-prolongateurs.jpg

They all died shortly after this photo was taken.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes.

I would liken them to spdsl pedals. The first time someone gets a road bike and clips in, they feel totally off balance and a bit out of control, a months later they might feel completely comfortable.

Tri bars are similar - the first time I put on tri bars I fell off to disastrous consequences. Now I can take to the lanes at high speed without a loss of control. It’s about awareness, you sit up when you suspect someone may try to kill you.

Remember, no one in this thread is condoning being on bars in a peloton unless you are at the front.

View attachment 425686

They all died shortly after this photo was taken.
ahh Triathletes. not known for bike handling anyway :whistle:

Top Bottom