Aero Brakes and tyre clearance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Mate at work has giant aero style road bike the model number evades me just now. However how wide a tyre could you run with these new style aero brakes? It would seem as the pads wear down the cAlipers are now fouling the tyre . 25c tyres fitted . Seems a bit tight and no way to get longevity out of a set of pads

I say 23mm tyres but not all 23mm is 23mm. Width depends on how wide the rim is and also on how honest/dishonest the tyre manufacturer is in reporting the correct size. It is fashion to claim the tyre is 25mm but it is actually a 23. Blame the bike magazines, they weigh stuff and put the results in table form so that the consumer can choose the "best" (read, lightest) tyre in the category.

Those frames have absolute minimal clearance. Some require a super narrow (20mm or such) tyre at the back to clear the seat tube.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
He has changed the pads and has clearance but old pads not that worn I would say.Be going through pads quick at this rate, although told him next time stick some swiss stops on as they seem to fair much better than others in my experience.

Top Bottom