Aero wheels for climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philhul

I know that deep aero wheels won't give an advantage whilst climbing.
I know that the pros use much smaller rims on the mountains as they are lighter, however, is there any other fundamental reason why they wouldn't use aero wheels?

Basically, I've bought some 60mm carbon clinchers from China for bombing along on the flat, but as my only other wheels currently are a set of Shimano R500s the aero wheels will still be my lightest wheels by 2-300g. Other than looking like I haven't got a clue, is there any reason I shouldn't use them whilst out on the hills in Northumberland (as long as the side winds aren't too strong of course)?

amaferanga

Veteran
Crosswinds.

Plus if they're full carbon braking won't be great in the wet.

Out of interest why did you go for 60mm instead of a shallower rim like 38mm or even 50mm? Did you get a bargain?
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
P

philhul

But on a dry day with very light winds, as of late, no real problem?

I'm going to getting some decent 'normal' wheels at some point but maybes not for another couple of months. I'll probably stick with the R500s anyway for climbing as I always seem to bump into a lot of people on nice bikes in nice kit and I'll just look like a tit!

OP
OP
P

philhul

Wanted 50mm but they only had tubulars so had to get 60mm in clincher. They haven't arrived yet but if they are good enough I might try some of their 20mm carbon clinchers later in the year. They are pretty light for the money.

amaferanga

Veteran
Where from and how much (if you don't mind me asking)? I've been looking around at the Chinese carbon clinchers for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

OP
OP
P

philhul

I bought them from the carbonzone seller on ebay. He doesn't list any clinchers so I had to buy outside of ebay but I've seen good feedback on forums about buying directly from him so decided to take the plunge. I'm not going to reveal the cost for now in case they are crap when they arrive so that I don't look like a total fool! A lot of people seem to be curious about buying from China but are reluctant to go for it so I will post up pics, a report and the price when they arrive, which will hopefully as a bit of a handy buyers guide.

frank9755

Cyclist
A while ago Boardman won the national hill climb using discs so, as long as the crosswinds don't get you, you should go ok.

At the speed he was going up hill he reckoned the aero benefit offset the weight penalty. I don't think I could use that logic on a hill-climb!

amaferanga

Veteran
I bought them from the carbonzone seller on ebay. He doesn't list any clinchers so I had to buy outside of ebay but I've seen good feedback on forums about buying directly from him so decided to take the plunge. I'm not going to reveal the cost for now in case they are crap when they arrive so that I don't look like a total fool! A lot of people seem to be curious about buying from China but are reluctant to go for it so I will post up pics, a report and the price when they arrive, which will hopefully as a bit of a handy buyers guide.

These are the ones I'm looking at. Think they'd be about $600-$700.

Will1985

Über Member
Carbonzone are developing a good reputation for cheap reliable products which are delivered quickly. Most people I know seem to have avoided customs duty too......

There is nothing wrong with aero wheels uphill, especially as you point out they are your lightest wheels. I'd be more concerned about descending on them in the wet but also if you are a heavy user of the brakes.

Having got some 20mm carbon tubs for hillclimbing I now notice the difference between them and 60mm deep sections. As amaferanga points out, crosswinds can be seriously scary when descending at 80km/h+ on deep sections. The happy medium is something with a depth of around 40mm.

OP
OP
P

philhul

Was getting a little concerned as I hadn't heard anything from Echo @ Carbonzone for a while so sent an email and he replied with a tracking number and turns out they were in the UK and out for delivery today. Went home at luchtime but had already missed parcel force.
Bit frustrating as when I transferred the money I asked him to send me the tracking number as soon as he had so that I could make sure someone was in.

That's the only negative so far. If you email to ask a question he is quick to reply but there is no proactivity to give you an update or any additional information, you have to ask for everything.
hopefully I'll be able to pick them up from the parcel force depot on saturday and if the wheels are good all will be forgiven!!!

HovR

Über Member
As you got them nearly 12 months ago how have they been ?

Unfortunately the original poster's profile states that he hasn't logged in for quite a while:

philhul was last seen:6 Oct 2011

Although maybe you could get hold of him via private message - If they still use the same email account then they will get an email informing them they have recieved a message.

Top Bottom