Africa - and Hi!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

takeonafrica

Hi Sean,
You've got time, since you're not leaving til October - if you're wanting to save money then go for a second-hand steel framed mtb and do that up. Must say the Jakes Bikes Marin or On-One touring equipped bikes both look pretty good - I'd never seen this site before.

As for spares/repairs, basically what I'm taking is this (I'm doing a similar trip):
a few spokes, inner tubes, one foldable tyre, gear cables, brake cables, some chain links, brake blocks
puncture repair kit, pump, multi-tool (inc. chain tool, allen keys, screwdriver, spoke keys, torque screw and tyre levers), some chain oil, spanner for adjusting the EBB.
For the rohloff - oil change kit and hub cable assembly.
And a small collection of various nuts/bolts, cable ties, duct tape
Based on advice from SJS Cycles, I'm not bothering with a sprocket removal tool - shouldn't need to reverse the sprocket during the trip and it's a little on the heavy side.

That should cover most things I think. Obviously need to know how to use everything and do the repairs - that's the bit I don't know yet! (But the local bike shop guy is kindly going to show me the basics.)

a couple of other good links:
http://travellingtwo.com/resources/the-essential-tools
http://www.worldbiking.info/equipment.html

Best of luck... and depending on your route and how quickly you go - we may meet...
Helen

hubbike

Hi helen, great site btw. How are you finding the Thorn Raven, which options did you go for, and how much did it cost you in the end? hope its not rude to pry this much but I am getting closer to considering this option instead of converting a mtb.

Sean, if you are set on using a trailer, I have noticed quite a few people using http://www.extrawheel.com/ could also double up as a replacement front wheel (?!)

Interesting.

extrawheel_main.jpg

He must hate front panniers.

takeonafrica

Hubbike - Liking the Thorn a lot. Only covered about 750miles so far, about half of which has been off-road. I've not yet had it loaded up though. So far so good. No problems. The chain did come off twice on the last off-road ride, but it's looking v loose, so just need to tension it I think. And will soon need to do the first oil change for the Rohloff, but it looks fairly simple to do. Apart from oiling the chain a couple of times, I haven't done anything to it.

The Rohloff took a little getting used to, but now very happy with it. A little on the noisy side, but this is supposed to improve with use and once the oil has been changed. Hoping it will prove itself with time, since it is the low maintenance and high reliability that convinced me to shed out the money in the first place.

I got the basic model with the CSS rim upgrade for the wheels and LX brakes (as recommended by SJS) and Schwalbe marathon XR tyres. Other extras were the front and rear thorn racks, mud guards, ergo bar end grips, 3 bottle cages and then MKS pedals with toe clips.
I had already got a Brooks saddle which I'm using.
Would highly recommend the brooks saddle, xr tyres and bar ends (if you like that style).

OP
OP
S

srmex

Thanks everyone for your help, I can't reply properly for a bit becasue I have university finals coming up and I'm banning myself from the net. Thanks for all your advice though!

Top Bottom