After 45 minutes of observations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoysOfSight

You can see some pretty depressing stuff if you hang around one location for long enough (for some reason it never seems that bad to me when I'm riding somewhere).

We had a new cycle lane put in where the council have widened the pavement, to try and keep drivers from shaving the kerb at one end. I spent half an hour there watching and every single bus/hgv, plus around 2/3rds of the cars still shaved the edge of the pavement, totally ignoring maybe a meter to one and half of bright red lane.

(I'm actually not particularly pro-lane at all, but I think if you do spend lots of cash treating a junction, it ought at least to have some effect).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Fight, fight .......

He he...I'm sure Gras knows it wasnt a dig;)

I'm just mindful of us falling into the same traps that we knock others for.

BentMikey said:
Tut tut on including helmets and hiviz in a discussion on road law!!! Perhaps it's better to look at actually following the traffic laws, rather than opinion pieces.

red-rag-to-a-bull.jpg

Ole!

Redvers

GrasB said:
After reading Vike's thread on road law I took the opportunity to actually look at cyclists behaviour on a busy junction for 45 min:
* about 1/3 of people wear high-viz
* about 1/3 of people don't wear a helmet (but around half of the non-helmet wears did wear high-viz)
* The majority of cyclist while not technically abiding every law show reasonable common sense.
* The riders who took the most risks & pissed off the most people were those who looked to be seasoned cyclists & should have known better.
* Car drivers want cyclists to disobey traffic laws when it means they wouldn't be inconvenienced by the cyclist.

Opinion and presumption devoid of rigor in the guise of science.

Human, forgivable and we all do it but surely it’s the curse of the modern age ;)

Top Bottom