After 6 sh*t months health wise I am thinking ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Are you saying that just cannot free wheel at all ?

You're talking of a speed pedelec, where you turn the pedals, but in a slow non pressure motion.
You can get some kits with thumb controller to allow you to stop pedalling altogether.

Ebike UK legislation means you need to turn the pedals.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are you saying that just cannot free wheel at all ?

You can freewheel in the same way as on a pushbike.

The motor will have switched itself off as soon as you stopped pedalling.

The newer models have very little resistance when the motor is off, so the bike will behave very much like your pushbike.

One difference is the extra weight means you will tend to gather more speed when freewheeling down a hill.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can freewheel in the same way as on a pushbike.

The motor will have switched itself off as soon as you stopped pedalling.

The newer models have very little resistance when the motor is off, so the bike will behave very much like your pushbike.

One difference is the extra weight means you will tend to gather more speed when freewheeling down a hill.
Thanks.
All very interesting this.
I am far from technical and need to do some reading up on the subject 🤔

gbb

Legendary Member
Remember the assistance level you use have a massive effect on mileage.
For instance my crossfire / suntour setup has ...
No assist, pedal normally. It's hard on inclines (but that might be my OA) , I find a high cadence helps.
Low assist, this at a given pedalling force will allow you to achieve say 11mph with little effort.
Tour, same effort from you, you will achieve say 15mph, but the drain on the battery is higher, less mileage achieved.
Climb, really gives it a boost on hills but even more drain on the battery, even less miles.
Sport, just gives it full whack, same scenario.
All kinda obvious but what I do to maximise battery life / mileage is constantly switch between no assist when I can (on the flat, downhill or if the wind is behind me) and try not to use anything above low assist most of the rest of the time. So normally, you aim to use a low level of assist, this also helps you maintain some fitness, not getting the bike to do it all for you.

Your level of health /fitness will dictate how much assistance you want. 7 years ago I'd be doing 50 miles on a roadbike hard. Health issues now dictate a 10 to 15 mile assisted ride is all I want or can do , but without it, I simply wouldnt be able to enjoy riding at all, period.
An ebike is a marvelous thing for that, its kept me out there.

Zanelad

Guru
I ride a Giant Fastroad E+, a flat bar road bike. I regularly get 4 of my 22 mile round trip commutes between charges. I reckon 5 would possible in the summer as the cold does affect battety performance. If out for a weekend or lockdown ride I do 2 regular 35 mile loops, with more in the way of hills and still have around 20% of the battery remaining. The last 10% does drop quickly though. That's using the 2nd lowest of the 5 power settings with a little of the highestvsetyings forvthe steeper hills. The bike weighs a little over 17 kgs, but you don't really notice if unless your lifting the bike up. There's a walk assist so even pushing the bike takes minimal effort if you need to.

gbb

Legendary Member
I ride a Giant Fastroad E+, a flat bar road bike. I regularly get 4 of my 22 mile round trip commutes between charges. I reckon 5 would possible in the summer as the cold does affect battety performance. If out for a weekend or lockdown ride I do 2 regular 35 mile loops, with more in the way of hills and still have around 20% of the battery remaining. The last 10% does drop quickly though. That's using the 2nd lowest of the 5 power settings with a little of the highestvsetyings forvthe steeper hills. The bike weighs a little over 17 kgs, but you don't really notice if unless your lifting the bike up. There's a walk assist so even pushing the bike takes minimal effort if you need to.
This is something worth knowing if someone wasnt expecting it. The last 10 - 15 % on mine just evaporates really quickly, you have to be aware of this if you're a distance from home, or have a headwind, or a climb, or...... :wacko:
Based on normal useage, you'd think you'd get maybe 10 or 15 miles....and you squeeze a nervous 5 miles out of it, not good for the battery either i suspect. It's better not to put yourself there.

Drago

Legendary Member
The BMS on most bikes prevents the battery from genuinely running flat, cutting it off while there is still a bit left in the tank to protect it.

lyn1

Über Member
I think this is one of the best looking e-hybrid bikes around. Under 15kg, the Fazua motor is fab and you should manage 50 miles will reasonable boost depending on terrain.

I've got the Boardman version with the same motor, its a great system and the Canyon looks like a better bike.

Canyon Roadlite on.

View attachment 544867
My wife has this and very impressed with it. Power setting on downtube is odd until you get used to it but otherwise fine.

Top Bottom