After 6 sh*t months health wise I am thinking ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
BUT.......
They all seem so heavy. I thought technology would have sorted that.
I want a hybrid.
50 mile range ?
As light as possible.
Any suggestions ?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The weight comes down with price, but they're all gonna be weightier of course...

With no budget specified, it is hard to make any specific recommendations but i would consider a mid drive with integrated batteries which lighten the bike a little, based on my own personal research into this that i did earlier in the year.

You could get @Drago to give you tips on dead lifts and squats to get that bike lifted over them turnstyles though :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
A genuine 50 mile range is really pushing it, unless you are filled with helium and running on low assistance levels.

I can only give the example of my Subway Electric, as thats all i know. Its weighty, but not super heavy. On the plus side it rolls very well indeed. Its a hybrid. Its more than up to the job of light trails, canal towpaths etc. Its very stable and sure fioted and an absolute joy to hammer downhill on the twisties, grippy and stable but with positive steering and superb brakes.

I'm very heavy and manage about 35-40 miles, depending on what assistance levels i'm running. The good news is that even with my weight it has no trouble getting me up hills.

The early version had some problems with cutting out, as did most Carrera models where the powertrain was a mix and match from different manufacturers, but the new version has an all suntour powertrain and seems to have more or less sorted that out.

So, aside from your desired range, which is a little unrealistic, it ticks your boxes. I know me old mate @gavroche secretly wants one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BUT.......
They all seem so heavy. I thought technology would have sorted that.
I want a hybrid.
50 mile range ?
As light as possible.
Any suggestions ?
Here's one example that a friend of mine was looking at - the Ribble Hybrid Al E

User review said:
It weighed 13.95kg (size Medium) out of the box, so a bit more than the 13.1kg claimed on the website but still very reasonable indeed for an e-bike...

Battery range is of course hugely dependent on conditions, but I did a 30 mile ride with over 1800 feet of climbing and the assist level either set at yellow or red throughout and it used just less than 50% of the battery, so a 60 mile range with battery to spare should be easily achievable...

It is the range that stops me getting one just yet. I'm around 83 kg and would like a bike that did a minimum of 50 miles. I rarely go further than 40 miles but would like a useful reserve. If a new bike is advertised with a range of say 50 miles can you expect this to be less in a couple of years? How much less if this is the case?
I'm sure in a few years newer models will have longer range. At the moment does it depend on the price? Does more expensive = longer range?
I take ages before I buy anything so I'm really trying to get as much info before parting with the readies.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A genuine 50 mile range is really pushing it, unless you are filled with helium and running on low assistance levels.

I can only give the example of my Subway Electric, as thats all i know. Its weighty, but not super heavy. On the plus side it rolls very well indeed. Its a hybrid. Its more than up to the job of light trails, canal towpaths etc. Its very stable and sure fioted and an absolute joy to hammer downhill on the twisties, grippy and stable but with positive steering and superb brakes.

I'm very heavy and manage about 35-40 miles, depending on what assistance levels i'm running. The good news is that even with my weight it has no trouble getting me up hills.

The early version had some problems with cutting out, as did most Carrera models where the powertrain was a mix and match from different manufacturers, but the new version has an all suntour powertrain and seems to have more or less sorted that out.

So, aside from your desired range, which is a little unrealistic, it ticks your boxes. I know me old mate @gavroche secretly wants one.
Thanks.
50 would be the max. Most of last years rides were 30ish.

ColinJ

One of my club's members (Brian Robinson!) has one of these. In a real-world test however on the club ride yesterday the Ribble e-road bike was noticeably slower than the Giant e-road bike uphill, despite having the same power limit.
I did notice that Dave is in Cheshire so I was assuming that there won't be many serious hills to contend with?

Drago

Legendary Member
You're smaller and lighter than me - with dilligent use of the controls, you might just manahe to squeeze 50 powered miles out of it. Evsn once the battery is flat it is reasonable to ride, not a complete anvil.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What we liked about it (apart from the performance boost offered by the motor!) was the fact that it doesn't look much like an ebike, with its battery being neatly hidden away in the downtube.
Not sure about the 1x 11gears. Apart from that it looks good.
Any idea of the range ?

ColinJ

One of my club's members (Brian Robinson!) has one of these. In a real-world test however on the club ride yesterday the Ribble e-road bike was noticeably slower than the Giant e-road bike uphill, despite having the same power limit.
I didn't notice that Brian Robinson was the rider! I rode the Kirklees Sportive a couple of times and then it was renamed in his honour. Brian was pretty old even back then so it is great to hear that he is still getting out.

Top Bottom