After 6 sh*t months health wise I am thinking ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure about the 1x 11gears. Apart from that it looks good.
You get a 42/11 top gear, which should be plenty high enough, and a 42/42 bottom gear, which should be plenty low enough with motor assistance on the climbs. Admittedly, the steps between the gears will be bigger than on a normal gear set-up.

Any idea of the range ?
See the quote in my other post! (There are lots of user reviews on the Ribble web page and I just lifted bits of one of them.)

I'm not aware if your medical situation is temporary or permanent but have you considered converting an existing bike to an e-bike?
I've started seeing youtube ads for Swytch (have no idea why! 😀) but there are many other options out there.
If things improve, health wise, you can convert back.
Good luck!

gzoom

Über Member
BUT.......
They all seem so heavy. I thought technology would have sorted that.
I want a hybrid.
50 mile range ?
As light as possible.
Any suggestions ?

I think this is one of the best looking e-hybrid bikes around. Under 15kg, the Fazua motor is fab and you should manage 50 miles will reasonable boost depending on terrain.

I've got the Boardman version with the same motor, its a great system and the Canyon looks like a better bike.

Canyon Roadlite on.

full_2020_roadlite-on-9-0_2294_gy-bk_P5.png

CXRAndy

Guru
You can't really get less than 2.5kg for the motor and 3kg for the battery. The weight is irrelevant unless you are lifting the bike. Bit what you get is 250 Watts of assistance for less than 6kg.

There are plenty models which will get you 50+ miles but are expensive. eg Reisse and Mueller.

You can go aftermarket for much less but it takes practical skills to install

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You can always go cheap and cheerful and go for a G Tech. Not too heavy, gates? Belt driven, and they have bottle batteries. You can always buy a spare one as well. That would ensure you get 30 miles especially if you don't have hills. Easy maintenance as well. Might be worth a look

@keithmac bought one and has had it for a few years with no problems.

Drago

Legendary Member
Andy isright. Indeed, you get more tha 250W, that being the maximum continuous output. A fit, healthy and keen rider might manage 200W, somit is a real boost to hillclimbing,

Slick

Guru
Not all the motors and batteries struggle to do the advertised mileage.

Mrs Slick has a boch motor with an advertised range of over 80 miles. Admittedly, she's no heavy weight but she also isn't frightened to boost the assistance to turbo for most of the ride and it has taken her 70 odd miles with stills bit left in the tank. :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What kind of riding will you be doing Dave. If it's mainly road and light trails I really fancy the new Van Moof S3. States between 36 and 93 miles depending on how you ride it. Easy to maintain and classy looking as well. I might have drooled at the thought of it once or twice.:laugh:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I’ve just got this moustache 28.1 first ride yesterday 37 miles & not used 1bar of battery.
17kg but you don’t feel this once on the move, it’s rides nice as well.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Range remains the big limiting factor of ebikes for those who like to do day rides.

There was a reasonable leap forward in technology about 15 years ago with the introduction of lithium batteries - a vast improvement over lead acid.

But since then progress has been glacial.

The energy density of my 2009 Bosch battery is very similar to the latest ones.

Every now and again, some research is published which looks promising, but it never reaches the market.

The latest electric cars use very similar cells to ebikes, just lots more of them.

Batteries were big and heavy when they were invented 200 years ago, they are still relatively big and heavy today.

There is no magic wand when it comes to range, an ebike with a light and fit rider running minimum assist on flat roads will go a lot further than a lardy bloke trying to beast the hills.

The lighter weight ebikes such as the roadie style ones have a weaker motor and a smaller battery - we could call them 'light assist'.

Cannondale make a roadie ebike with the more powerful (and heavier) Bosch motor and a (heavier) 500wh battery which would be better for range than most lumpy flat bar hybrids with similar motor/battery combos.

To generalise, it comes down to a real world range of 40-50 miles, probably near 40 in most cases.

Some ebikes have an even heavier 700wh battery which will increase the range a little.

To be confident of 50+ miles it's really a case of carrying a spare battery, or in the case of my Riese and Muller, having a plumbed in twin battery set up.

The bike is German, so built to invade Poland, add the second battery, and you have a very weighty beast.

Manhandling it is hard work, so it's best suited to roadie rides where there's not much stopping or getting on and off.

@ColinJ didn't realise what a treat it was for me when I first turned up to his rides to find I could keep pedalling pretty much until the cafe stop.

Dave could consider a compact framed ebike with 20" balloon tyres, much easier to use for someone getting on in years.

This Cube has the same Bosch motor and battery as the big wheel bikes, so its performance will be similar.

One of these with a spare battery in a pannier bag would be a very handy rig capable of banging out the miles.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2021/e-bikes...ct-hybrid/cube-compact-hybrid-sport-bluenred/

NB: Take no notice of the 'urban mobility/commuting' blurb. I have a similarly designed bike and have done 80+ mile rides on it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider a lazy question ie I haven't yet googled it^_^.
When they quote eg 50 mile range does that mean 50 if I don't pedal at all or with an average amount of pedalling? (I am assuming the latter)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider a lazy question ie I haven't yet googled it^_^.
When they quote eg 50 mile range does that mean 50 if I don't pedal at all or with an average amount of pedalling? (I am assuming the latter)

Yes, a range quote will be with an average amount of pedalling - that's a good way to put it.

Bear in mind with the crank drive bikes such as the Bosch you have to pedal all the time - the only way to activate the motor is to pedal.

The same is true of most of the hub drive bikes, particularly the road legal ones.

A benefit of the Bosch system is the seamless way it applies the power.

Some of the hub drive bikes can feel crude in comparison.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes, a range quote will be with an average amount of pedalling - that's a good way to put it.

Bear in mind with the crank drive bikes such as the Bosch you have to pedal all the time - the only way to activate the motor is to pedal.

The same is true of most of the hub drive bikes, particularly the road legal ones.

A benefit of the Bosch system is the seamless way it applies the power.

Some of the hub drive bikes can feel crude in comparison.
Are you saying that just cannot free wheel at all ?

Top Bottom