After a new commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
But you said > £1000

So is it between £1000 and £1300?

Any reason why?
I think the OP meant <£1k if he's considering the Boardman.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hm that looks lovely, but at £1300 it's a bit over what I wanted to spend
You can pick one up for £1100, a 2011 version which is actually slightly better than the 2012 version.
I also looked at the Croix De Fer, almost bought one but it did not quite have the gearing I wanted plus I did not want to faff around trying to sort out a set of mudguards and a pannier rack.

400bhp

Guru
Just looking in more detail at the CX - frame material is a little bit on the budget side for something they are charging £900 for.

400bhp

Guru
You can pick one up for £1100, a 2011 version which is actually slightly better than the 2012 version.
I also looked at the Croix De Fer, almost bought one but it did not quite have the gearing I wanted plus I did not want to faff around trying to sort out a set of mudguards and a pannier rack.

That ridgeback looks a bit "old manny" :whistle:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I love the look of the Boardman CX. I'm tempted by one too.
+1 on the CX!

I was also looking at the Cube Cross Race @ £999, but they're rarer than rocking horse dropping (a popular bike at the right price, so they sold quickly.) I believe there are still a few about if you're prepared to go hunting :thumbsup:

adds21

Rider of bikes
Ribble Audax ? Frames go up to giant (64cm)
Be lighter than a CX, get to play with the bikebuider website

I've been using a Ribble Audax for the last 18 months as an all weather commuter. Done about 5,000 miles and it's been reasonable over that time. Nothing too special, but it's reliable. I replaced the BB after about 3,000 miles, and both wheels after about 4,500, but it really has been used in all weathers.

Mike!

Guru
I did consider a Genesis CDF but that would have been second hand, couldn't afford the extra ~£300 after discount over the Boardman but nothing my size appeared!

If you do go for a Boardman it's worth joining British Cycling to get an extra 10% off the price :thumbsup:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Top Bottom