After a touring bike thats not just a tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
If you can fit all your stuff in a saddle and a bar bag I would suggest that as a "sportier" way to go. And a bar bag is handy for often used items (camera etc).

willem

Über Member
Avoid Marathon Plus on a bike like this. What is the point of getting a fast bike and then spoiling it with a slow and uncomfortable tyre?
W

willem

Über Member
For a fast and light tour I would fit the Panaracer Pasela TG, in the widest possible size that will fit your frame. Use Schwalbe extralight inner tubes.

Willem

Yellow7

Über Member
oh come on, extra light inner tubes are gonna make a noticable difference?!

How about pumping the tubes up with helium and wearing flip-flops instead of shoes, that should loose another few grams...

Mark.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
oh come on, extra light inner tubes are gonna make a noticable difference?!

How about pumping the tubes up with helium and wearing flip-flops instead of shoes, that should loose another few grams...

Mark.

I think it's about 45g per tube, 105g versus 150g, in the touring 700x28 to 700x45ish bracket and they are about double the price of the regular tubes. So there is a distinct weight saving, whether the 90g is worth the extra money is down to the individual.

I wouldn't bother

tbtb

Good ideas re the flip flops and helium but it's not just about weight.

You'll notice that Willem's suggesting wider rather than narrower tyres - wider tyres are heavier, not lighter, but are argued by some to be easier rolling. It's all about the rolling resistance. When he mentions light inner tubes, it's about rolling resistance primarily, I believe, not weight.

Yellow7

Über Member
Good ideas re the flip flops and helium but it's not just about weight.

You'll notice that Willem's suggesting wider rather than narrower tyres - wider tyres are heavier, not lighter, but are argued by some to be easier rolling. It's all about the rolling resistance. When he mentions light inner tubes, it's about rolling resistance primarily, I believe, not weight.

But it's the tyres that are in contact with the road, not the tubes, so tubes being lightweight or not would not affect the rolling resistance.

Mark.

willem

Über Member
It is both about weight and about flexibility. Weight saving is some 50-100 gram per tyre, depending on the size (it is 95 grams in 26x2.0). On longer and more remote trips I always take two spares, so in my case it is 4x95 grams = 380 grams. The greater flexibility is what reduces rolling resistance. The difference is measurable. It is the same as with the tyres themselves: stiff casings are what slows you down. The weight reduction comes form tighter production tolerances rather than from more fragility. Even the xxlight have been very reliable in my experience, including rough trips such as loaded off road touring in Norway. Whether you want to bother is entirely up to you, of course.
Willem

MacB

It is both about weight and about flexibility. Weight saving is some 50-100 gram per tyre, depending on the size (it is 95 grams in 26x2.0). On longer and more remote trips I always take two spares, so in my case it is 4x95 grams = 380 grams. The greater flexibility is what reduces rolling resistance. The difference is measurable. It is the same as with the tyres themselves: stiff casings are what slows you down. The weight reduction comes form tighter production tolerances rather than from more fragility. Even the xxlight have been very reliable in my experience, including rough trips such as loaded off road touring in Norway. Whether you want to bother is entirely up to you, of course.
Willem

Interesting Willem, I always read your posts with pleasure as they are well written and informative. I hadn't considered the increased flexibility and can understand how that would make a difference. As to the additional weight when multiplied by 4, yep that's another valid point. For touring I might be tempted to go with the lighter options as the additional expense would be small scale compared to the rest of the trip.

On the flexibility bit would you also opt for folding as opposed to rigid tyres? If so do you also carry a spare folding tyre and have you found you can fit it immediately or do you have to leave it unfolded for a while first?

HelenD123

Guru
On the flexibility bit would you also opt for folding as opposed to rigid tyres? If so do you also carry a spare folding tyre and have you found you can fit it immediately or do you have to leave it unfolded for a while first?

I've seen a folding tyre fitted from the pannier straight onto the bike.

willem

Über Member
Thanks for that response. As for folding tyres, I don't think there should be a difference, as it is the bead that is different rather than the sidewall. However, I have seen some tests where the one or the other was actually faster. The conclusion in those cases was that the tyres were also different in other respects. I sometimes take a spare, and sometimes I don't. Last summer I was cycling in Norway with a bunch of friends. I had fitted brand new Extremes, and I calculated that they were unlikely to fail, and that if one did, I was with friends. When I ride with my wife and kids I normally take a spare, and I have needed one in the past. But then, 600 grams divided by four is rather less than divided by one. It is true that folding tyres are perhaps a bit easier to mount nicely if you leave them unfolded for an hour or so. However, if you do not have that time there is no real problem.

Willem

MacB

Thanks Helen and Willem, I have a couple of Marathon Supreme folders in 700x32 in the garage, they were on offer(so I couldn't resist :blush: ) and they are my next planned tyre on my road/ish bike. But it'll probably be months, maybe even this time next year, before they get used, as the tyres on the bike already are new as well. I know about storing spare tyres in a cool dark place but would I be better to unfold or just leave them in their boxes? I'm leaning towards leaving them as that's how they'd sit in a shop/warehouse anyway. Then just unpack them a few days before I plan to fit them.

Top Bottom