After a trailer, what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for that. I think it’s going to be too short when her torso, head, and helmet are taken into account.

This week, I spoke with one of the other parents whose child is in my daughters class. She commutes with a normal-looking bakfiets and her daughter, who is about the same age as mine, is out of space in that bike.

Even if I could find a bakfiets that fits my daughter now, I get the sense it won’t last long.

This seems to leave two choices: the Weehoo or a new (used) bike such as the surly big dummy or a kid tandem.

Fair enough. There's also the factor that kids begin to feel self-conscious on a Bakfiets after a certain age. My daughter has just 'graduated' to riding on my Xtracycle which is much easier for me as well... The Bakiets is rapidly becoming the shopping/transporting bike.

I also took the attitude that once kids can ride their own bike it's better for them to do so. After all, we're wanting them to learn to be independent, and riding their own bike is a great start.

I used a Tag-a-long with my youngest (my eldest just got squished in the trailer until he was able to ride his own bike at about 7); full waterproofs and/or a spare pair of trousers have seen us through Manchester winters (and summers which are just as wet...)

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I really like the idea of a tandem, but I worry about the 30 minute cycle commute in traffic at the end of a long day. She’s only 5 and I worry that she won’t be able to hang on that long. The weehoo has the recumbent position and the shoulder harnesses going for it. Falling asleep wouldn’t be an issue

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I really like the idea of a tandem, but I worry about the 30 minute cycle commute in traffic at the end of a long day. She’s only 5 and I worry that she won’t be able to hang on that long. The weehoo has the recumbent position and the shoulder harnesses going for it. Falling asleep wouldn’t be an issue

It certainly makes sense for a 5yo.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Well, I’ve ordered a Weehoo igo Venture with a rain canopy. I ordered it from bikeseven in Carlisle, who did a great deal for me. It’s supposed to arrive Friday, so I’ll update with photos soon!

Top Bottom