After some commuting tips for a newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Hi everyone :hello: after working at home for the past two and a bit years, I'm starting to get back into the office. My office is now in Manc city centre so rather than get the tram I'd like to give commuting on a bike a go while I'm in very intermittently. I've managed to plan myself a route (I live in East Manchester just outside the ring road, so not an easy task unless you fancy the a57!) and I was planning to use my old hybrid. It's a specialized ariel with one of those forks that you can lock out. It's pretty hefty so not totally sure how well I'll cope, but I do cycle for leisure on the weekend on a road bike so should be okay fitness wise. As I don't know if I want to commit to this in the long term, I only have a rucksack which will need to hold a change of clothes and my 15inch laptop. Don't really want to purchase any panniers until I know I definitely can do this. So - does anyone commute using a rucksack?

Initially ill be on the roads via the most quiet route to the Oxford Road cycle lane - I do have the option of the fallowfield loop but I'm a bit nervous of using that unless there's loads of other commuters using it. Anyone else from Manchester use the floop?

Any other commuting tips welcome - fortunately we have pretty good cycle facilities at my office so I'm just concerned mostly with getting myself there with my gear in one piece!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Where in East Manchester ?

I've used the Floop and it's fine -some reports of robberies on it, but it's heavily used at rush hour. I currently commute from Woodley but down the Peak Canal and then Ashton canal.

I used to ride the roads into Oxford Road myself, but I've had too many accidents with impatient car drivers. The canal brings you out at Dakota hotel, then you can pop over to witworth St, and Princes St before picking up the cycle lane under the Mancunian way over to Oxford Road by All Saints Park.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Denton - I've just this min been on the friends of the fallowfield loop fb page and it looks as though there's been a few attacks recently 😣 my route on a weekend into town tends to vary but looks like Windmill Lane, Longford Road, Albert Road in Lev, then through the filtered streets to avoid Moseley Road and picking up Oxford Road via Old Hall Lane. The worst part of my route is usually windmill Lane on the return leg due to impatient idiots so I've taken to riding literally middle of the lane to force people into the opposite lane.

Never been a huge fan of the canal to be honest :sad:

fossyant

I use panniers. One bag for laptop (in a shockproof case) and water proofs. Other bag as repair kit, pump and clothing. I do take everything in and out each day though.

fossyant

Denton - I've just this min been on the friends of the fallowfield loop fb page and it looks as though there's been a few attacks recently 😣 my route on a weekend into town tends to vary but looks like Windmill Lane, Longford Road, Albert Road in Lev, then through the filtered streets to avoid Moseley Road and picking up Oxford Road via Old Hall Lane. The worst part of my route is usually windmill Lane on the return leg due to impatient idiots so I've taken to riding literally middle of the lane to force people into the opposite lane.

Never been a huge fan of the canal to be honest :sad:

I got my spine broken on Longford Road, just short of getting on the Floop. whilst it's pretty quiet, I had a driver turn right across me, I was only doing 13 mph at point of impact, but my spine snapped with the forces. bike was fine.

Windmill Lane is a rat run, and I could tell which cars had drivers smoking weed - bad route for that.

I've done just about every route into the city - some even going as far as the airport on a nice day ! Woodley, Hyde, Denton Windmill Lane was my so called 'quiet loop'. I used to come off the Floop near Alexander Park as my base is just off Stretford Road, Hulme.

Loads of glass on the Floop though, so decent tyres are a must. I cut up Conti 4 Seasons really badly (and flatted) so moved to Schwalbe Durano that didn't flat, but were badly cut, but they did last.

The canal is OK TBH - bit quiet although get's busy past Etihad with runners !

Use high grade commuting tyres that arr tough and puncture resistant.
Pick a good route but refine it. Try a test on Sunday.
Panniers are always useful. You can shop on the way back from work.
Fit good lights, bright clothing, gloves and helmet are useful in a crash.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I got my spine broken on Longford Road, just short of getting on the Floop. whilst it's pretty quiet, I had a driver turn right across me, I was only doing 13 mph at point of impact, but my spine snapped with the forces. bike was fine.

Windmill Lane is a rat run, and I could tell which cars had drivers smoking weed - bad route for that.

I've done just about every route into the city - some even going as far as the airport on a nice day ! Woodley, Hyde, Denton Windmill Lane was my so called 'quiet loop'. I used to come off the Floop near Alexander Park as my base is just off Stretford Road, Hulme.

Loads of glass on the Floop though, so decent tyres are a must. I cut up Conti 4 Seasons really badly (and flatted) so moved to Schwalbe Durano that didn't flat, but were badly cut, but they did last.

The canal is OK TBH - bit quiet although get's busy past Etihad with runners !
I got in touch with my MP a few months back about running a speeding operation on windmill and he actually managed to get GMP to run one which is good. They didn't catch anyone on windmill due to roadworks but I believe they've run another since. One of the local councillors is v concerned about the stretch from the motorway bridge to the zebra in dane bank as well because idiots tear it down there at stupid speeds. I think I'm just gonna have to pick my times carefully. I'm lucky that I don't have core hours and can work from home, so setting off early/leaving early or leaving later is an option too.

rivers

How far can I go?
I can't help with route choice as I'm based in the southwest. But I have commuted with a backpack when I needed to carry a laptop into work. It works, but you may get a sweaty back. That didn't really bother me as I wear lycra for commuting. Now I use a large saddle bag as I only need to take a change of clothes into work.

KneesUp

Guru
Do you have facilities at work to change / shower? I used to commute with a rucksack and in the summer months you will get a sweaty back. I didn't have shower facilities at work so ended up with a packer shower (wipes) and taking a change of clothes - which made the bag heavier ... Panniers have many uses (shopping, for example) and you can start off with cheap ones.

Reactions: mjr

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I dont commute in everyday, but I come in from Stockport. Unfortunatly are you are aware again there have been some attacks on the Floop recently. I stopped using it about October last year after a run in with a group of lads, but have tried it a few times over the last few weeks and the homeward stretch has been interesting to say the least. Being in Stockport I can just extend my Jorney and do the full Wilmslow Road route and then from Parrs wood down the mersey, or if I want a shorter route I use the parallel route near the A6.

If you want to see my choice of route down the a6 drop me a message and I will send you some strava links.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I dont commute in everyday, but I come in from Stockport. Unfortunatly are you are aware again there have been some attacks on the Floop recently. I stopped using it about October last year after a run in with a group of lads, but have tried it a few times over the last few weeks and the homeward stretch has been interesting to say the least. Being in Stockport I can just extend my Jorney and do the full Wilmslow Road route and then from Parrs wood down the mersey, or if I want a shorter route I use the parallel route near the A6.

If you want to see my choice of route down the a6 drop me a message and I will send you some strava links.
Yeah please that would be great, will drop you a PM. I have used the a6 to get into town as well - I get on it at Levenshulme and I'm off again near the turning for Plymouth Grove. I think I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go - things are rarely as scary once you're doing it!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Do you have facilities at work to change / shower? I used to commute with a rucksack and in the summer months you will get a sweaty back. I didn't have shower facilities at work so ended up with a packer shower (wipes) and taking a change of clothes - which made the bag heavier ... Panniers have many uses (shopping, for example) and you can start off with cheap ones.
We do have really decent facilities actually that have just been refurbished. Lockers, showers, drying room and secure storage only accessible to people in the building that have had their card authorised.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
No advice on the route however there is a large, recent thread in this section around rucksack/panniers. Id stick with a rucksack for now and see if you get into it as you may find its not for you or, that you love it and want to upgrade bike, gear etc at some point anyway.
Unless I missed it you don't say how far the commute is, short rides don't often require showers and full change etc however its good your place has these if wanted especially with warmer weather on the way.
Do the route on a day off with a rucksack full of your gear to test it out would be my best advice. Leave as much as you can at work if that's an option too in those lockers to minimise the load.
I've used a rucksack for years and recently switched to panniers only because I am making a conscious effort to leave the car at home more and shop and run errands with the bike more than I used to.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
We do have really decent facilities actually that have just been refurbished. Lockers, showers, drying room and secure storage only accessible to people in the building that have had their card authorised.
are you working for the co-op @Enlightenedwaistcoat? those sound like the facilities I had when I worked there. these days I've got somewhere to keep the bike indoors but my 'locker' is a holdall left in the office, no showers or drying room. at least the gents' loo is spacious and clean…

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

are you working for the co-op @Enlightenedwaistcoat? those sound like the facilities I had when I worked there. these days I've got somewhere to keep the bike indoors but my 'locker' is a holdall left in the office, no showers or drying room. at least the gents' loo is spacious and clean…
No not the co-op - I work for an engineering consultancy in the centre of town. The office is pretty shiny and new ish so I guess its just one of those things people expect with working in town!

Top Bottom