Aftershokz bone-conducting headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I had been pondering getting some bone-conducting headphones for a while, and eventually decided to get these Aftershokz Bluez 2 which are Bluetooth ones.

Basically, the pads of the headphones sit just in front of your ears, on the "hinge" of your jaw where it meets the skull. The sound is transmitted through your bone to your inner ear. This means your external hearing isn't compromised as it would be with normal headphones.

The sound quality is very good, it sounds just the same as if you were wearing normal headphones.

In traffic you can hear all the normal revs, beeps, and abuse as normal! Obviously there is a bit of conflict between the different sound sources, so if you have the headphones too loud you could block out some external noise. But overall it's an excellent balance between being able to listen to music but still being able to hear what's going on around you.

They are pretty light and comfortable to wear, although they do make you look a bit dorky! (not that I care what people think of the way I look!)

The Bluetooth pairing was fine, and they seem to stay connected well, although I have only worn them for one journey.

I started off with my phone in my back pocket, and the movement of my pedalling did seem to cause the connection to fade in and out. As soon as I put it somewhere where it didn't move around the sound was rock solid.

Overall I'm very happy with them.

AndyRM

XOXO
Without wanting to start a (pointless) debate, it looks like the band round the back of your head would get in the way of a helmet. If you wear one, is that the case?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Without wanting to start a (pointless) debate, it looks like the band round the back of your head would get in the way of a helmet. If you wear one, is that the case?

I don't know, I don't wear one. I'll have a go when I get home and let you know.

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't know, I don't wear one. I'll have a go when I get home and let you know.

Appreciate that. I only wear a helmet when commuting (wife's orders :rolleyes:) which is when I'd use something like this. Prefer the sounds of the country when I'm out in it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The band on my Aftershokz doesn't get in the way of my lid. The band just sits beneath where the helmet comes and it's fine. Comfy too.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I forgot to add in my review, that I was concerned about wearing them with glasses, but the arms of the glasses and the "hooks" of the headphones seem to coexist peacefully.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why on earth have I not thought of that before?!

I'm guessing you've never had to say to a daughter "You're wearing that anorak to school whether you like it or not!"

GC

I was bought these for Christmas, and can say these are fantastic.
I love the fact that my hearing isn't compromised, I can listen to music in stereo (I'm partially deaf) for the first time in over 10 years, communicate with people in work while doing payroll and shutting them out, cycling, as @benb states, I can hear the usual traffic noises, people talking etc which is what you need when cycling.

I have also used these in nasty Plymouthian weather and soft rain, they stand up incredibly well and allow me to keep my head down and keep pedalling on, unlike when it's against you, you just want to sit back and chill.

The band at the back, as someone has asked, doesn't get in the way of my helmet because it sits below and under the straps around your ears.

Top Bottom