Age and Grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought I was losing it. The ride became a bit tougher in the last 3 months. Yesterday by chance I just lifted the bike and spun the rear wheel and it certainly wasn't freewheeling.

Decided to clean the bearings and re-grease. Ended up doing both wheels. Packed it with grease. Hardest part was loosening the cassette with the chain whip. Bluddy thing would not budge. Had to check youtube just to be sure I was doing it right. Hail to youtube.

And it did the job.

Levo-Lon

Guru
3mth? Some people on cycle forums check things every 10 mins lol
cant beat a bit of fresh grease after a clean.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

3mth? Some people on cycle forums check things every 10 mins lol
cant beat a bit of fresh grease after a clean.

I sensed that when I first joined the forum. I might join the flow. Trying to convincd the SO that I need wrokshop space. Might take more than 3 months though.!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
it's not just about new grease, if you over tighten the bearings after re-packing, that'll also make it difficult to spin the wheel

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

it's not just about new grease, if you over tighten the bearings after re-packing, that'll also make it difficult to spin the wheel

Yep, there has to be a bit of play between both cones. I think its called pre-load to handle the skewers being tightened.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's got groove, it's got meaning;
Grease is the time, is the place, is THE MOTION.........

And it can make you go greased lightening. :smile:

Was it someone on here who admitted that after scrabbling around in the dark of the shed for chain lube and applying it, only discovered it was actually a bottle of Loctite after they got back from the ride?

Top Bottom