Age or Ability for over 50’s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi Everyone
I am just getting back on the road and am now 55. I need to get fitter and would like to join a group/club. The only problem is when I see the fit youngsters fly by and think “I can’t keep up with them”.
Does anyone know of a group or club to break me in or do I jump in the deep end with the high flyers?
A lot depends on whether you were a fit type before, cycled before, smoker etc etc .
I'm 60 and I've given up trying to keep up with younger guys...its pointless anyway because you don't know what level they're capable of. When I was at my fittest, once in a while guys pass you with ease and you think 'fer Chrissakes ' :whistle:.
Be the fittest you can be, don't aim to take on the world ..yet :okay:
You can easily be the fittest 55 year old in your circle of friends or colleagues once you get some miles on the bike.
I'd find out what kind of average speed I'm achieving then approach a club and fit in the most appropriate group .

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I came back to the bike after a 40 odd year break:ohmy:
Five years later?
in weeks, I reach pension age..

I'm out every day I can on my hybrid, in all weathers..
I cycle by myself as I can turn down this lane, this track, go off road and not having to 'do' what everyone else wants...

I'm not fast, I get passed by all ages BUT I'm happy, I enjoy every minute even the steeper parts...

Get out there and enjoy, never mind about speed, distance etc...
Just be yourself:okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A lot depends on whether you were a fit type before, cycled before, smoker etc etc .
I'm 60 and I've given up trying to keep up with younger guys...its pointless anyway because you don't know what level they're capable of..

It's all relative isn't it?. There are a hell of a lot of seriously lardy people out there and the general level of fitness and lack of activity in the UK is pretty appalling, TBH. When I started riding again last year after doing hardly any cycling for years, I considered my fitness level to be mediocre - and compared to some of you who take training far more seriously than I do, it probably still is. However, compared to some people I know (some a lot younger than me), who couldn't climb a few flights of stairs without going red in the face, let alone riding 25-30 miles, my fitness has improved to the point where it isn't too bad after all. I'm not at all convinced that youngsters are automatically fitter and faster either, as a lot do sedentary jobs and live inactive lifestyles. I've never been a "sporty" person, but I have always done physical work and tend to walk a lot so I've been pleasantly surprised how my mileage before fatigue has crept up and losing a few pounds in weight is a bonus. Still got some way to go but it's going in the right direction. The best bit it's enjoyable riding - and not boring like I would find doing running.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
On fixed, I assume.
Well make sure you take a young acolyte with you, to look after you. Some of those A roads are pretty scary for old blokes (and pretty scary for young ones, too). Make sure you pack your Senior Railcard.
Oh, and good luck. Looks like you'll benefit from a head wind both ways.

I've ridden once or twice on fixed, but not this time. I shall have a Cornish windbreak with me.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
There is hope for us older guys (60 last Saturday). For decades I used to walk up the hills and freewheel down them. Then I joined Strava! Now I still can't quite compete with the serious boys, but I beat the weekend warriors easily. The secret? Daily commute - it's the most brutal, dog-eat-dog bike competition out there! (That guy in the Armani suit is eating your top ten place!) And it gets you fit and fast for the weekend sportive. But I get the inbetweenie thing. The serious group rides my way average 21mph plus (in hilly country) - still just a bit too hot for me. But the leisure group goes at 14mph - not sure I have a gear low enough now :bicycle:. CTC/cyclingUK organise a mixed programme so +1 for them if you're looking for non-competitive group. Another option is to find a buddy who shares your pace - you can train and improve together.

Are you trying to cycle more as a sport, or more as a pastime? If you want to do it more as a sport, find a ‘sporting’ cycle club in your locale, if you want to do it more as a pastime, join a CTC ( cycling UK) or British Cycling ‘Let’s ride’ group. Try not to set your sights / expectations impossibly high ( ‘taking on’ a bunch of cat1 racers, in their 20s or 30s) for example, as you’ll get your behind handed to you repeatedly, which would almost certainly demotivate you, which would lead to most people having a massive flounce, and selling their bike, and taking up fishing. Enjoy the riding and the benefits it brings, don’t worry about what every one else is doing. Listen to this song.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5giWfpANMac

Change some of the lyrics, to better suit cycling. It’s fun ( and strangely true ).

I got back on a bike at 50 after 3 years out with a hip/hamstring injury. At that time I was just grateful I could ride - I must have spent a year farting about at 12 mph.
Then came the Birmingham velo - I thought you know what after coming close to quitting with that injury - I am going to do this. There were many set backs, niggling little injuries - but it all came good at the right time.
Just take it easy and pedal - make sure the club you join has a slower paced ride, and take it from there...

freiston

Veteran
Let's Ride does a lot of local guided and social rides, at various (usually slow) paces, and I regularly go on their longer rides. No membership or anything like that needed.

Cycling UK/CTC have various regional-specific groups too, and their rides tend to be a little longer/faster (in my area at least). You can go on up to 3 rides before you have to join (Merseyside group - don't know if they're all the same).

They vary around the country, but both might be worth checking out.
I echo what Alan said. The Let's Ride webpage will have rides pitched at various levels/distances and on the ones that I've been on, they never leave anyone behind. In my area, they don't start as early in the morning as CTC/CUK - which is a big factor for me ;).

I took the liberty of searching their website for rides in the Rayleigh area:

Let's Ride search results

Most of the rides in that search seem to be 20 miles and run by the 'Windjammer Wheelìes'. In my area, there are plenty shorter and plenty longer.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
https://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-422/
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27585441
On fixed, I assume.
Well make sure you take a young acolyte with you, to look after you. Some of those A roads are pretty scary for old blokes (and pretty scary for young ones, too). Make sure you pack your Senior Railcard.
Oh, and good luck. Looks like you'll benefit from a head wind both ways.

The young acolyte (aka the Cornish windbreak) didn't last the course, having sprained an achilles somewhere en route. The promised headwinds were not too persistent. The weather was far too hot. Salisbury was still open for business. I finished with an hour to spare having managed 5hrs sleep at around 590k.

That's my first SR as an OAP (subject to confirmation).

Tracy

Hi all im a newbie , started cycling last summer and turning 52 next week have took it a bit more serious now than the odd tootle to the shops. Upgraded my bike and doing around 90 miles a week for fun and fitness. Have to say theres loads of youngens pass me but so long as im enjoying it im not too bothered.
did a few steady rides with the letsride team but not ready for the more challenging ones yet till I build up to it.

grimme

Regular
You are stuck between factions unfortunately, but there should be a group to cater to your needs. Whereabouts in the country are you, might help get you some specific advice.

Years ago I used to live next door to a pensioner in his 70s. His wife was wheelchair bound but once a week he would go out without her and take his bike in the back of his car to meet up with the geriatrics mid-week cycle run. They always headed over towards Cheshire and would start/finish at a garden centre or similar so they could park and get food and drink before or after a ride that was flattish and at a pace to suit. Even they would have fast and slow groups despite all being well stricken in years! :laugh:
The one thing they did have was retirement allowed them to ride mid-week when the roads and cafes weren't over run with lycra clad whippets, I guess you don't have that luxury, hence my comment about being stuck between the retired plodders and the weekend lycra warriors. Don't worry though, there WILL be a suitable group for you, even if it is less formal than the traditional cycling club structure (forums and facebook are pretty good at bringing these smaller less focused groups of cyclists together).
may i just point out that people are blessed by years not sticken by them?

Top Bottom