Age or Ability for over 50’s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Hi all im a newbie , started cycling last summer and turning 52 next week have took it a bit more serious now than the odd tootle to the shops. Upgraded my bike and doing around 90 miles a week for fun and fitness. Have to say theres loads of youngens pass me but so long as im enjoying it im not too bothered.
did a few steady rides with the letsride team but not ready for the more challenging ones yet till I build up to it.
That's a pretty good start for just your first year of cycling - welcome to the oldies club!

Alan O

Über Member
[QUOTE 5343068, member: 9609"]better looking too[/QUOTE]
As long as that avatar isn't a self-portrait....

GuyBoden

Guru
Hi Everyone
I am just getting back on the road and am now 55. I need to get fitter and would like to join a group/club. The only problem is when I see the fit youngsters fly by and think “I can’t keep up with them”.

IMHO, too many younger road bike riders (mainly male) don't seem to know how to enjoy cycling, they think it's a competition and try to get past every rider on the road. With a bit of age and experience, hopefully they'll learn to enjoy cycling a bit more. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
IMHO, too many younger road bike riders (mainly male) don't seem to know how to enjoy cycling, they think it's a competition and try to get past every rider on the road. With a bit of age and experience, hopefully they'll learn to enjoy cycling a bit more. :okay:

Perhaps they enjoy competition, I do that is certain.

suzeworld

Veteran
Who cares who passes you?
Being out there getting the air is the critical point.
I’ve been cycling for 30 years now. Had to ease off a bit during cancer treatments in my 50s but I tried to keep going, just a few miles along a canal, whatever. There’s always something easy you can do. Then off the back of that illness I learned to love climbing.

I sometimes pass a few folk. I usually don’t - but I just got back off my holibobs which included several rides up/down and around Mont Ventoux. In fact getting up there to see the sunrise was my 60th birthday pressie to myself. Awesome.

Any of us who ride regularly are doing better than anyone our age who only lounges around, and there sure are plenty of them.

There are some good tips here, but the best one is: just do it.

simongt

Guru
but the best one is: just do it.
Exactly the point. Regardless of one's age & ability, it doesn't matter one tot what speed or distance you're doing, who passes you or whatever. As long as you are enjoying the ride, that's all that matters.
I tend to ride solo. Thus I'm free to choose where I go, often changing my mind part way / what speed I do / stopping whenever it takes my fancy or to look at something interesting / taking as long as I like / etc., etc.. If I'm tootling along at 10mph or stopping every couple of miles, so what - ? That's my choice and I'm happy with that - ! :thumbsup: ^_^

The local forty plus club section around here seems to have a average age of 72, and those guys and gals can really get a move on. its fitness not age that matters, yesterday a rode passed a guy pushing his cycle up the hill, and he must have been 30 years younger than me.
I thought you were talking about me for a moment. :whistle:

bigjim

Legendary Member
The regular ride leader on my local club is 73. Little powerhouse. 70 or 100 mile runs make no difference to him ,though he does moan a fair old bit.:smile: We regularly come across a 93 year old on his Dawes Galaxy, He has two ladies riding with him. They are well into their 80s.

Top Bottom