aghhh to much traffic on the roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I've had a few holiday days to take this week, and today while it's a little cooler I thought a nice bike ride would be just the thing. Living in Wales the roads are usually very quiet and secluded if I head off west from where I live but today I wanted to ride a route that me and my dad did my years back in 1984.
I could remember the route back then as being quiet and peaceful, but this time round it was a different story. The ride was just shy of 60 miles and took in a few towns along the way. Going on the outbound journey today was relatively quiet and arriving at the river side at Chester I was quite chilled out , but home bound the traffic seemed to appear from nowhere. For 15 miles it felt more like a commute as it was just stop , start cycling and filtering through the jams. It seemed to coincide with the kids coming out of school with the mass influx of people carrier's full of kids and school buses ( not the people carriers full of buses before you rib me lol :-)
Hand on heart I can honestly say I could not live and commute in a large city such as London. I would be a nervous wreck if I had to do that week in week out. For those who do , do it , your certainly a better person than I am at managing your stress levels and multi tasking all that goes on around you on the busy streets.
All the best
Johnny.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I live in quite a busy city but I make sure, if I can help it, to avoid venturing out at the three busy times - morning rush hour, school run home and evening rush hour.

Lee_M

Guru
I lived and commuted into London for 30 years, and now live near Chester. TBH you have a completely different mindset commuting in London, its a "get your head down and get it done" mentality in my view. I can't say I ever enjoyed the road parts of it (the bit along Regents canal and through Victoria Park were much better) but it ws still infinitely better than standing up on the Central Line for 40 minutes.

Now in Chester, cycling is for fun, and much better for it

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I tend to do that to on the shorter rides. I usually leave it to around 6 to 6.30 in the evening as most of the traffic as dispelled, but today was nearly 4 hours long and the pub is calling me tonight for a pint :-))

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I lived and commuted into London for 30 years, and now live near Chester. TBH you have a completely different mindset commuting in London, its a "get your head down and get it done" mentality in my view. I can't say I ever enjoyed the road parts of it (the bit along Regents canal and through Victoria Park were much better) but it ws still infinitely better than standing up on the Central Line for 40 minutes.

Now in Chester, cycling is for fun, and much better for it
Hi Lee.
Chester is a beautiful city and I have fond memories of living there when I was a youngster ( even if it was 1970s blacon.)
The traffic in Chester was not to bad at all and went through a very picturesque village of Ecllestone ( did I spell that right) and Handbridge.
It was the section from Gresford, Wrexham ,through to Ruabon that was particularly busy.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've had a few holiday days to take this week, and today while it's a little cooler I thought a nice bike ride would be just the thing. Living in Wales the roads are usually very quiet and secluded if I head off west from where I live but today I wanted to ride a route that me and my dad did my years back in 1984.

My rides in the 1980's, from Warrington into Wales, were mostly through Chester, along the A56 Frodsham/Helsby, obviously, it was much quieter back then, it's not pleasant cycling nowadays.

By the river in Chester by is a nice day out. :okay:

Lee_M

Guru
Hi Lee.
Chester is a beautiful city and I have fond memories of living there when I was a youngster ( even if it was 1970s blacon.)
The traffic in Chester was not to bad at all and went through a very picturesque village of Ecllestone ( did I spell that right) and Handbridge.
It was the section from Gresford, Wrexham ,through to Ruabon that was particularly busy.

Ah, well since I basically live just outside Gresford I can help - outside Darland school is definitely appalling at the wrong time, beyond that you need to know the back routes to avoid it all, luckily they do exist.

clid61

Veteran
rode home from bodelwydan a few weeks back , old coast road to deeside then chester then up through helsby frodsham warrinton and into wigan . To be honest trafic wasnt to bad , sunday afternoon too

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Lee_M.
I like that bike shop by you called Alf Jones. He's got some fantastic bikes in there.
Marford hill was a good climb today. The wind was blowing behind me which helped me fly up. The last time I went there was 33 years back and remembered how me and my dad struggled up it.

Lee_M

Guru
@Lee_M.
I like that bike shop by you called Alf Jones. He's got some fantastic bikes in there.
Marford hill was a good climb today. The wind was blowing behind me which helped me fly up. The last time I went there was 33 years back and remembered how me and my dad struggled up it.

The guys at AJs are great, very helpful and good at doing their damndest to meet or beat internet prices. My new bike was cheaper there than I could get anywhere else.

I remember the first time I went up Marford Hill I was really pleased with myself, but now since all our club rides start from Alf Jones' I end up going up it all the time - at the start of the rides!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
How keen are your club rides buddy. I've been wanting to join in on one but I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I could keep up. I can now do a 50/60 miles fairly easily but I only average around 16 mph. Would this be to slow for you guys.

Lee_M

Guru
How keen are your club rides buddy. I've been wanting to join in on one but I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I could keep up. I can now do a 50/60 miles fairly easily but I only average around 16 mph. Would this be to slow for you guys.

I wish that was too slow as that's what I do

We've got a good spread of As, Bs and Cs,
As are a mix of goats and speed demons and do around 18/20mph.
Bs do 16 so you'd fit in perfectly
Cs do around 12-14
Plus rides are easier in a group
All depending on terrain of course.

www.mgvelo.club
Most rides are posted on our facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/MGVeloClub/ but basically we have official rides on Wednesday evening and sunday morning, and then lots of different rides during the week and on saturdays.
Very sociable club, and all but the A rides include coffee stops (and sometimes they do too)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank you Lee for forwarding all that info..I'm getting to the stage now in cycling where I'm thinking of joining a club, but my self confidence is holding me back as to whether I'm fit enough to participate. I will give it some serious thought ,and when I'm feeling brave enough and show my face ,I will be the one on the antique Peugeot Steelie. You will most probably see my belly 5 minutes before the bike comes round the corner to Alf Jones buddy.
All the best and many Thanks .
Johnny

Top Bottom