AI and Chatbots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're already watching it :okay:

I gave the AI system my first semester's assignment to do and it wouldn't have passed. But the ChatGPT AI system will improve over time. There's also been a system designed to check whether assignments have been written by an AI chatbot, which we have access to.

My assignment briefs are designed to make it very difficult for anyone who's not studied the module to cheat; i.e. pay someone in an essay mill to write it for them. There's been couple of suspicions in the latest batch but both have done badly and it's the volume of complaint from both students which pretty-much confirmed it for me.

Open assessment briefs will be easy for an AI system to produce to, and they're the worry for those in education.

We're the same. Apparently the AI is potentially good enough for a 2:1.

Alex321

Veteran
I thought I'd give chatGPT a try, nad gave it a cycling related question to start with.

Question
What is the best way to build up to cycling 100 miles

Response
Cycling 100 miles is a significant achievement, and building up to this distance requires careful planning and preparation. Here are some steps you can take to build up to cycling 100 miles:
  1. Start with shorter rides: If you're new to cycling or haven't ridden long distances before, start with shorter rides and gradually increase the distance. Begin with a 10-20 mile ride and gradually work your way up.
  2. Increase distance gradually: When you're comfortable with your current distance, increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week. This will give your body time to adapt to the increased demands.
  3. Focus on endurance: To build up to cycling 100 miles, focus on building endurance rather than speed. Slow and steady is the key to completing long rides.
  4. Include hills and intervals: Incorporate hill climbs and interval training into your rides to build strength and endurance. This will help you tackle the hills and maintain your energy levels over a long ride.
  5. Fuel your body: Proper nutrition and hydration are essential for long-distance cycling. Make sure you eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water before, during, and after your ride.
  6. Get a comfortable bike fit: A properly fitted bike will help you ride more efficiently and reduce the risk of injury. Consider getting a professional bike fit to ensure you're comfortable on the bike for long distances.
  7. Listen to your body: If you're feeling fatigued or experiencing pain, take a break or stop riding. Pushing through pain can lead to injury and set back your progress.
Remember that building up to cycling 100 miles takes time and patience. Stick to a consistent training plan, and you'll be well on your way to achieving this impressive goal.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I thought I'd give chatGPT a try, nad gave it a cycling related question to start with.

Question
What is the best way to build up to cycling 100 miles

Response
Cycling 100 miles is a significant achievement, and building up to this distance requires careful planning and preparation. Here are some steps you can take to build up to cycling 100 miles:
Could have been copied verbatim from a CC thread :whistle: :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s quite interesting when you ask it some questions with no definitive answer.

I asked it to write me some Vogon poetry, and this came back in less than a second, and I like it.

An eerie sight,
The stars in the night,
Gloopy and squishy,
Humming so bright.
The universe flows,
Never knowing in what direction it goes,
Through time and space,
Forever till the end of days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
It’s quite interesting when you ask it some less definitive questions.

I asked it to write me some Vogon poetry, and this came back in less than a second, and I like it.

An eerie sight,
The stars in the night,
Gloopy and squishy,
Humming so bright.
The universe flows,
Never knowing in what direction it goes,
Through time and space,
Forever till the end of days.

I asked for a sonnet:

Riding a bicycle is a true delight,
The wind in my hair, the world in my sight.
My arms reaching out, my feet in the pedals,
I fly through the streets like a song in a meadow.

My heart is alive, my soul is set free,
As I meander through the town and its people.
My lungs fill with air, my spirit soars high,
My journey of joy will never run dry.

My legs spin around, my mind is at ease,
My trusty steed is my only release.
It carries me far and away from all strife,
My bicycle--my refuge, my gift of life.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Or ask it to write a sonnet about the stars and moon in the style of Shakespeare

The stars and moon, a sight so rare and grand,
Illuminate the night with joyful glow.
Their beauty’s timeless, in this strange land,
Our worries eased by their comforting flow.
To gaze upon them, a blessed command,
So we can feel the bliss no word can show.
The stars appear like distant shifting sand,
The moon an orb that none can ever know.
The secrets held in these heavenly shores,
Will never reach us, as we sit and stare.
We study them with innocence galore,
Dazzled by the beauty held up there.
Let us behold the stars and silver moon,
For this wondrous sight will be gone all

I'm aware of what's believed to be a chatbot messing up a thread by trolling on a different forum.
It was posting in several threads, all related, with long, detailed and grammatically correct posts, within times that no human could do.
It wasn't being particularly "trolly" but it was dominating several discussions.

I look at this and think back to the birth of the Internet and all the good things it was going to bring......... Oh dear!

I've seen bike touring recommendations (as in where to go) and packing lists offered up by chatgpt.

It's going to change a whole lot of things.
Especially on fora like this.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ask ChatGPT for a quiet cycling route between two points, and it uses the names of local lanes to generate a route that bears little resemblance to reality.
It's just a list of roads that don't actually connect together. Weird.

Point out the error and it just generates a slghtly different version.

Alex321

Veteran
Ask ChatGPT for a quiet cycling route between two points, and it uses the names of local lanes to generate a route that bears little resemblance to reality.
It's just a list of roads that don't actually connect together. Weird.

Point out the error and it just generates a slghtly different version.

Yes, I don't think it is great at navigation. I asked it for a cycling route from my village to Cardiff Bay, wondering if it would be anything close to the route I actually cycle on to work.
It started in the wrong place, about 4 miles from te village, then took a really odd route, including several A roads and at one point saying to turn from the A4119 not the A4232 - at a point where there is no actual junction, as the latter road is a major dual carriageway that I certainly wouldn't ever take a bike on, and the former just passes under it at that point.
Apart from that non-junction, the route would have worked, but was about 5-6 miles longer than necessary and used too many busy roads.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I gave it a fairly obscure question but one that i know a little bit about.

"What is an Elephant Bike?"

"An elephant bike is a nickname for a specific model of bicycle that was used by postal workers in the United Kingdom. The official name of this bicycle is the Royal Mail Pashley Mailstar, and it was manufactured by the Pashley Cycles company.

The elephant bike is a heavy-duty bicycle that is designed to carry heavy loads, such as mail bags. It has a sturdy frame, wide tires, and a large basket on the front. The nickname "elephant bike" comes from the fact that the bicycle is so strong and durable that it can carry a load as heavy as an elephant.

The bicycle was first introduced in the 1940s and has been used by postal workers in the UK ever since. It is a familiar sight on the streets of many UK cities and towns, and it has also become popular with bicycle enthusiasts who appreciate its rugged construction and classic design.

In recent years, some elephant bikes have been decommissioned by the Royal Mail and sold to the public, often with proceeds going to charity. They have become popular with commuters and cyclists who value a strong, reliable bicycle that can handle heavy loads."

It's a little bit mashed together and it fails to mention the actual Cycle For Good charity anywhere, but it at least recognises charity somewhere. Overall, you could get the general idea of what the bike is, with extra information you didn't ask for. The biggest benefit is the time savings i think that this AI gives you. But then you still have to trust the information without fact checking.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Or ask it to write a sonnet about the stars and moon in the style of Shakespeare

The stars and moon, a sight so rare and grand,
Illuminate the night with joyful glow.
Their beauty’s timeless, in this strange land,
Our worries eased by their comforting flow.
To gaze upon them, a blessed command,
So we can feel the bliss no word can show.
The stars appear like distant shifting sand,
The moon an orb that none can ever know.
The secrets held in these heavenly shores,
Will never reach us, as we sit and stare.
We study them with innocence galore,
Dazzled by the beauty held up there.
Let us behold the stars and silver moon,
For this wondrous sight will be gone all
Interesting.

Some lines don't scan very well, although they do have the requisite number of syllables. Methinks ChatGPT needs to study iambic pentameter a bit more.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've been using ChatGPT to do monotonous jobs (mainly writing reports) for me since Christmas. Makes my working day SO much easier - just hope no-one realises I could be mostly replaced by an AI bot!! I would say that whatever prose it provides is an 80% solution which then just needs refining/editing.

Its impact on the education system will be interesting to watch.

Whole levels of middle management jobs are going to be wiped out by AI , in the same way clerks jobs disappeared.

On Linus Tech Tips they asked the AI to analyse the feedback on their merch store, it was done in 3 seconds . Normally that would take up to a day to be prepared , edited and forwarded to Linus.

So if it's your job to collate, analyse and preset data to your superiors it's a good idea to be looking at retraining.

Top Bottom