AI-generated ebay listings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Is this now a "service" the platform offers?

I've noticed an increasing amount of generic, meaningless and suspiciously consistant sales-b*llocks in ebay listings recently.. from an item of clothing I took a look at earlier:

Elevate your wardrobe with this sophisticated men's blazer from Calamar. The timeless piece comes in a stylish charcoal grey colour, crafted with high-quality polyester material and designed in a regular fit for maximum comfort. The blazer features a classic style with a single-breasted button closure and is perfect for any occasion, whether it's a formal event or a night out.

The blazer is a size 38R and 48 EURO, suitable for men of all sizes. It is branded with the distinctive Calamar logo, adding a touch of luxury to your attire. The blazer is a must-have addition to any man's wardrobe, providing style and versatility.

While they're not all this bad, this unsophisticated sales blurb manages to cover most of the gamut of ills from "lots of words that say nothing" to pedalling flat out lies - who knew a 38R jacket would fit men of all sizes..?

At best crap like this is entirely uninformative and smacks of lazyness, at worst it's entirely misleading.

ffs, is it too much to ask that people might actually spend five minutes to write an informative and accurate description of what they're trying to sell?

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
eBay's added an option to use generative AI in order to create a listing. I tried it and it was far too descriptive, lacking any specifics. It'll get better but currently it's too vague imo.

Jameshow

Veteran
My friend asked AI to generate a nighttime story involving 2 children sharing Christmas presents in 300words... Job done....what a cheat!!!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Here's one I spotted when looking for a sustain pedal.
Screenshot_20240202-230552_eBay.jpg

It's made in China for a well known brand of budget audio gear, and a new one's fifteen quid from all good music equipment retailers...

I tried using it to sell an item and what was generated seemed so fantastic I wondered why I was selling it and then I looked at it and realised it was actually worn, ugly and I had absolutely no use for it. It was just an old semi-worn triple chainset that I pulled off a frame. In the end I didn't list it as I'd forgotten to count the teeth on the chainrings and hadn't measured the length of the crank arms but the A.I. text was just ridiculousy positive and no way would I list an item with that text as the person's expectations would be raised unrealistically possibly which just means return postage costs for me.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I tried using it to sell an item and what was generated seemed so fantastic I wondered why I was selling it and then I looked at it and realised it was actually worn, ugly and I had absolutely no use for it. It was just an old semi-worn triple chainset that I pulled off a frame. In the end I didn't list it as I'd forgotten to count the teeth on the chainrings and hadn't measured the length of the crank arms but the A.I. text was just ridiculousy positive and no way would I list an item with that text as the person's expectations would be raised unrealistically possibly which just means return postage costs for me.

I think it's the opposite TBH. If I see that an item has been listed with obvious 'AI' generated text then I assume that it's a piece of old crap being got rid of by a dishonest seller. I'll just scroll on past.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think it's the opposite TBH. If I see that an item has been listed with obvious 'AI' generated text then I assume that it's a piece of old crap being got rid of by a dishonest seller. I'll just scroll on past.
I actually did this.
The item's description was so outlandish :laugh:

Top Bottom